Kumera soup...

celosia, Jun 28, 3:49am
I tasted kumera soup for the first time over the weekend (cafe made) and it was absolutely delicious - does anyone have a recipe they can share please?

elliehen, Jun 28, 3:54am
KUMARA SOUP

Ingredients

4 Tablespoons (75 g) butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
1/2-1 teaspoon curry powder
500 g kumara, or sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 cup vegetable stock (also good with chicken stock)
3 cups milk (about)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of cream or coconut milk to garnish

Directions

Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and curry in the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat until the onion is transparent. Toss in the chopped kumara and cook for 1-2 minutes without browning it. Add the stock, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, until tender.

Puree the soup, solids first, then begin to thin with the milk. When pourable, return to the pan and continue adding milk until the soup is a good consistency.

When ready to serve, reheat, then ladle into bowls. Swirl a Tablespoon full of cream or coconut milk into each bowl, and sprinkle a pinch of fresh minced parsely or spring onion on top.

celosia, Jun 28, 5:15am
sounds really yummy, thank you - can I freeze it like this or should I add the milk when ready to serve at reheat time?

245sam, Jun 28, 5:35am
celosia, for many years I have been making a Curried Kumara Soup which is almost the same as the recipe posted by elliehen.I have successfully frozen the soup but always without the added milk, although to be honest, if the milk was added and some soup was leftover, IMO there's probably no reason why it can't be frozen with the added milk..

Hope that helps.:-))

elliehen, Jun 28, 5:36am
I pour off the liquid and use a stick blender to puree the soup, then return the liquid to the pot.Freeze it at that point, and add the milk to thin it when you reheat.

It is a tasty recipe I have made many times.

celosia, Jun 28, 7:07am
great, thank you. Going to get the ingredients with my shopping tomorrow - can't wait to make it.