Christmas pudding

Page 1 / 2
luckylady8, Jun 16, 9:02am
Fisher if you read this or anyone else who has fishers christmas pudding recipe, can you list it for me.I have to cook for 10 for mid christmas dinner next week and need a reliable recipe.I'm not the greatest cook so something that's not too difficult would megreat.Thanks.

marcs, Jun 16, 12:20pm
use the search box on the left hand side and put anytime in the bottom box

juliewn, Jun 16, 2:21pm
In case you'd like to try this, it's our favourite. and couldn't be easier..It's egg and milk free, and only has 1 tsp butter, which could be substituted for margarine or a lightly flavoured oil..

This would serve 10 with a small piece each - or double the recipe to give more generous serves.. and maybe some left-over - it's delicious cold to eat as a cake..

Christmas Pudding:
In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 2 tsp mixed spice, 2 tsp cinnamon, (plus 1/2 tsp nutmeg if liked), 1 cup sugar, 1 rounded cup each of currants and sultanas. 1/2 cup raisins.
Mix 2 tsp baking soda into 1 cup cold water.
Mix 1 tsp butter into 1 cup hot water.
Mix the two cups of liquid together and add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Place into a greased bowl and cover, and steam for 3 hours.

Or.. place a cloth into a bowl, pour the mix in, tie the cloth with string and boil for 3 hours.

This recipe works well to mix the night before - or several hours before. Stir well then place in the greased bowl and continue as above.

Just delicious..

You can make it now and freeze till needed - thaw overnight in the fridge, and place back into boiling water to heat for 1 1/2 hours, or place into an oven-bag then into hot water in a crockpot - heat on high for 1 & 1/2 hours.

Leftover's make a lovely moist 'cake'.. or reheat wedges in the microwave..

luckylady8, Jun 18, 5:26am
Thank you both for your effort in replying.Haven't decided on a recipe yet so still hoping some more options come through.

399, Jun 18, 7:08am
I use this recipe all the time.Never had failure.Make up to 20 at christmas time to giveas presents

macandrosie, Jun 18, 7:15am
this is an easy pudding...

Easy Christmas Pudding
3 cups mixed fruit
2/3 cup prunes chopped
½ cup chopped walnuts
juice & rind of 1 orange
1/3 cup brandy
2 eggs
100 gr butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp baking soda
1 tab golden syrup
Combine fruits, nuts, orange juice, brandy & syrup in a bowl & mix well. In another bowl, cream butter & sugar, then add eggs. Add dry ingreds to the egg mixture. Then add mixture. Spray a 5 cup bowl & pour mixture in. Cover with paper or foil. Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer& leavesimmering for 5 hours, topping up with water as needed.Can be wrapped & frozen until required. On the day, thaw, return to bowl & boil for a further 2 hours.

antoniab, Jun 18, 8:02am
Mmmm I figgin LOVE Christmas pudding!

elliehen, Jun 18, 8:23am
This is fisher's website and it doesn't appear there.BTW you might have to catch him quick before he goes AWOL ...spotted his post on the Travel Messageboard.

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes.htm

kinna54, Jun 18, 10:14am
Tip whatever you do do NOT make the Nigella Lawson recipe with the suet. DIL talked me into making it,... Well.. It was a greasy fatty mess, looked perfect in the bowl, but the smell, and the fatty taste... Agh. Guess there must be a big difference in suet these days, I bought store bought suet, (damn expensive too) also must be a big difference in the English product to ours. Would rather have used butter or marg. Lesson learned.

luckylady8, Jul 5, 7:47am
Hi all. Thank you for all your christmas pud idea's. We had a fabulous meal with 10of us all contributing to make it memorable.I was so lucky that a dear friend took pity on me and made a lovely pudding with the best brandy sauce for me.We were all sure she slipped while adding the brandy!But I assure you it all went.So I have 12 months to get my act together before our next midwinter feast.The hot pud tasted so much better with a big fire going.

timetable, Jul 5, 7:56am
i have used this one for 20yrs and it just rocks... i make them from aug on and freeze and have to say that they keep for ages and the longer in the freezer the better they taste!
soak in 1 cup gingerale or your fav tipple: 12oz rasins, 12oz sultanas, 8oz currants, 6oz chopped prunes, 1Tlbsp grated lemon rind, 3oz chopped almonds, 1 grated carrot.soak overnight or up to 1 week.
then add: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 2tsp mixed spice, 4 eggs, 3/4 cup milk, 8 oz melted butter.8oz fresh breadcrumbs.mix really well and then put into greased and floured pudding basins, cover and steam or boil for at least 5hrs or till the skewer comes out clean.enjoy!!!

luckylady8, Jul 23, 2:30am
Hi timetable, would just like to try your pudding recipe regardless of the time of year.But wondering if it makes one big pud or as you've put 'basins' are we looking at a couple of pudding's?Just need a little more instruction from you please..

luckylady8, Jun 16, 9:02am
Fisher if you read this or anyone else who has fishers christmas pudding recipe, can you list it for me.I have to cook for 10 for mid christmas dinner next week and need a reliable recipe.I'm not the greatest cook so something that's not too difficult would megreat.Thanks.

juliewn, Jun 16, 2:21pm
In case you'd like to try this, it's our favourite. and couldn't be easier.It's egg and milk free, and only has 1 tsp butter, which could be substituted for margarine or a lightly flavoured oil.

This would serve 10 with a small piece each - or double the recipe to give more generous serves. and maybe some left-over - it's delicious cold to eat as a cake.

Christmas Pudding:
In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 2 tsp mixed spice, 2 tsp cinnamon, (plus 1/2 tsp nutmeg if liked), 1 cup sugar, 1 rounded cup each of currants and sultanas. 1/2 cup raisins.
Mix 2 tsp baking soda into 1 cup cold water.
Mix 1 tsp butter into 1 cup hot water.
Mix the two cups of liquid together and add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Place into a greased bowl and cover, and steam for 3 hours.

Or. place a cloth into a bowl, pour the mix in, tie the cloth with string and boil for 3 hours.

This recipe works well to mix the night before - or several hours before. Stir well then place in the greased bowl and continue as above.

Just delicious.

You can make it now and freeze till needed - thaw overnight in the fridge, and place back into boiling water to heat for 1 1/2 hours, or place into an oven-bag then into hot water in a crockpot - heat on high for 1 & 1/2 hours.

Leftover's make a lovely moist 'cake'. or reheat wedges in the microwave.

luckylady8, Jun 18, 5:26am
Thank you both for your effort in replying.Haven't decided on a recipe yet so still hoping some more options come through.

macandrosie, Jun 18, 7:15am
this is an easy pudding.

Easy Christmas Pudding
3 cups mixed fruit
2/3 cup prunes chopped
½ cup chopped walnuts
juice & rind of 1 orange
1/3 cup brandy
2 eggs
100 gr butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp baking soda
1 tab golden syrup
Combine fruits, nuts, orange juice, brandy & syrup in a bowl & mix well. In another bowl, cream butter & sugar, then add eggs. Add dry ingreds to the egg mixture. Then add mixture. Spray a 5 cup bowl & pour mixture in. Cover with paper or foil. Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer& leavesimmering for 5 hours, topping up with water as needed.Can be wrapped & frozen until required. On the day, thaw, return to bowl & boil for a further 2 hours.

elliehen, Jun 18, 8:23am
This is fisher's website and it doesn't appear there.BTW you might have to catch him quick before he goes AWOL .spotted his post on the Travel Messageboard.

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes.htm

kinna54, Jun 18, 10:14am
Tip whatever you do do NOT make the Nigella Lawson recipe with the suet. DIL talked me into making it,. Well. It was a greasy fatty mess, looked perfect in the bowl, but the smell, and the fatty taste. Agh. Guess there must be a big difference in suet these days, I bought store bought suet, (damn expensive too) also must be a big difference in the English product to ours. Would rather have used butter or marg. Lesson learned.

luckylady8, Jul 5, 7:47am
Hi all. Thank you for all your christmas pud idea's. We had a fabulous meal with 10of us all contributing to make it memorable.I was so lucky that a dear friend took pity on me and made a lovely pudding with the best brandy sauce for me.We were all sure she slipped while adding the brandy!But I assure you it all went.So I have 12 months to get my act together before our next midwinter feast.The hot pud tasted so much better with a big fire going.

timetable, Jul 5, 7:56am
i have used this one for 20yrs and it just rocks. i make them from aug on and freeze and have to say that they keep for ages and the longer in the freezer the better they taste!
soak in 1 cup gingerale or your fav tipple: 12oz rasins, 12oz sultanas, 8oz currants, 6oz chopped prunes, 1Tlbsp grated lemon rind, 3oz chopped almonds, 1 grated carrot.soak overnight or up to 1 week.
then add: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 2tsp mixed spice, 4 eggs, 3/4 cup milk, 8 oz melted butter.8oz fresh breadcrumbs.mix really well and then put into greased and floured pudding basins, cover and steam or boil for at least 5hrs or till the skewer comes out clean.enjoy!

bev00, Jul 22, 11:59am
nearly time to start .

margyr, Jul 22, 11:35pm
had this one recently and it was yum, got the recipe from here. Not sure who orig poster was.Steamed Pudding
125g butter, 1tsp mixed spice, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1tsp baking soda, 1 cup milk, 1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour, 1 1/12 cups mixed fruit.
Place butter, sugar, milk & fruit in a 17cm bowl & microwave on high 5 minutes. Add spice & soda, stirring well. Mix in flour, cover with plastic wrap & microwave on high 5 - 6 minutes. Invert onto serving plate.

rarogal, Jul 23, 12:48am
is this the old Overnight Pudding from Edmonds by any chance! I've made this as my Xmas pud every year for the last 40+ years, the kids love it too.

luckylady8, Jul 23, 2:30am
Hi timetable, would just like to try your pudding recipe regardless of the time of year.But wondering if it makes one big pud or as you've put 'basins' are we looking at a couple of pudding's!Just need a little more instruction from you please.

cookessentials, Jul 23, 3:45am
Two-In-One Rich Christmas Cake and Pudding

Basic fruit mixture
4½ cups (720g) sultanas
1 cup (150g) currants
1½ cups (250g) raisins, chopped
1 cup (170g) pitted dried dates, chopped
1 cup (170g) pitted prunes, chopped
3/4 cup (180g) glace cherries
½ cup (125g) chopped glace apricots
½ cup (115g) chopped glace pineapple
125g packet fine diced glace ginger
1 medium (150g) apple, peeled, grated
½ cup (175g) marmalade, warmed
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 cup (250ml) Grand Marnier

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; cover tightly.
Store mixture in cool, dry place overnight, stirring occasionally

250g butter, softened
1½ cups (300g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
4 eggs
4 cups (280g) stale breadcrumbs (not dry)
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/3 quantity Basic Fruit Mixture
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour, extra

Beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer butter mixture to a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs, flour and fruit mixture

I have a 1.7litre stainless steel pudding bowl with a clip on lid which i use for mine. Steam for 2 - 3 hours. You can use your slow cooker as well to stream.

PLEASE NOTE, YOU USE 1/3 OF THE BASIC FRUIT MIXTURE ABOVE FOR THE STEAMED PUDDING. THE REMAINING YOU MAKE THE CAKE. HOWEVER, I JUST BASICALLY HALVE THE RECIPE AND MAKE JUST THE PUDDING.

cookessentials (1202 )4:53 pm, Mon 21 Nov #16