Bread starter

shazza164, Jun 12, 9:06am
can someone please give me there measurements for a simple starter

bearskin, Jun 13, 2:48am
Take about 250gms of flour + add enough water to make a loose paste. Add some fruit from a garden - I used damsons, but something like grapes or apples will work too - needs to have the wild yeast on the skins. Get a muslin or similar and crush the fruit in that. Add to your mixture, and within a few days it should be lightly fermenting. From there it's a question of removing the fruit and slowly adding more flour and water - each time taking a little of the original mixture out, and in two-three weeks you'll have a sour dough starter.

lx4000, Jun 13, 4:57am
I don't measure!! 1 teaspoon or 2 pending on how big or many I want to make, sugar, salt and warm water and flour to mix to a paste. Then I let that double in size. Then I make me bread from there. Thats how I always start my bread off be it fruit, savory or what ever.

Is that what your wanting?

skippie1, Jun 13, 6:36am
lx4000, I am interested in your method of a starter, but 1 or 2 teaspoons of ?what.

lindylambchops1, Jun 13, 7:14am
Yeah me too!Could it be yeast?!

cgvl, Jun 13, 10:30am
here you go. 2 tsp active dried yeast or 25g compressed yeast, 2tsp sugar or honey or maltexo, 1Tbsp plain flour, warm water approx 250mls (blood heat).
method: if using compressed yeast cream this with the sugar and stir into the water andd the flour last.
For dried yeast all ingredients into a measuring jug and stir well.
With both leave until mixture is frothy, has a head on it.
Take 3 cups of flour, 1tsp salt and approx 50g butter and rub together until like breadcrumbs.
Make a well in the centre ( you can add an egg if you want an enriched dough but not essential) pour in the yeast mix and mix together. Into a bowl until risen then I knead then back into bowl and then do a final knead and make into bread or rolls/buns etc.

lindylambchops1, Jun 14, 1:55am
Excellent many thanks from here too!

bearskin, Jun 14, 3:35am
Sorry, I had thought you wanted a Sour Dough Starter. To my mind, a regular dough is just that - not a starter...

lx4000, Jun 15, 2:17am
ooops!! YIP YEAST!HEHEHE