Have you made sally lunn / bosten buns with potato

vintagekitty, Jun 12, 8:26am
I am just reading a recipe for them, and cant get my head around the potato part?

eastie3, Jun 12, 8:38am
I have made one,and honestly prefer the old fashioned version.Not a fan of either the taste or texture.

rj5, Jun 12, 9:00am
Yes Imake the sally lunn bun quite often actually, moist and delicious, and cheap to make!! My sister does hers in muffin tins for the kids lunches

vintagekitty, Jun 12, 9:03am
oohh muffin tins are a fab idea

harrislucinda, Jun 12, 9:16am
yes , makethiswhenihaveleftoverspuds.Andyou cantdetectthespudwhenmade,Whatihaveachocolatecakewithgreentomato,s

dollmakernz, Jun 12, 9:30am
Yep! Really nice and lovely sliced and toasted too! It's like the tomato soup cake, tastes great but don'ttell anyone whats in it until they've eaten it!
Sally Lunn
1c mashed potato
½c sugar
Mix together until sloppy.
Add
2c self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
¼tsp salt
Sultanas
¼-½c milk

Bake 25mins at 180ºc

Tomato Soup Cake

100g butter, softened, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, beaten, 1 tsp cinnamon,
1 tsp ground nutmeg, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, 1½ cups flour
1 Tbsp cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder,225g can tomato soup, 1 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiled sultanas

Cream butter and sugar and add beaten eggs. Add sifted dry ingredients. Mix baking
soda and tomato soup in a small bowl and whisk until frothy. Add to the main mixture
and lastly stir in the still-hot, drained sultanas. Pour into a ring container,
and cook on high (100%) for 7-9 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
This cake will become more moist with keeping. I ice it with a rich chocolate icing.

kinna54, Jun 12, 9:35am
yes I have made and enjoyed. Should be eaten on the same day tho.

macandrosie, Jun 13, 6:58am
Used to make them years ago, you'd never guess there was potato in them! They are quite dense but still tasty, nice with sultanas in too, & iced & sprinkled with coconut.