Comfort Food

smileeah, Jun 10, 9:46am
Tonight I thought Blast It, I'm gonna make what I want for a change. So I pulled out my mother's old recipe book and make a potato/salmon/hardboiled egg and cheese sauce casserole and boy was I so glad I did. It was just how I remembered it...delicious!
So what if I was the only one who thought so. :)

smileeah, Jun 10, 9:55am
There were no quantities in the instructions but basically you peel and boil potatoes for 15min. Then cool and slice thinly. Layer half the potato into a greased casserole dish. Flake over some salmon (I used canned (wild caught) red salmon). Add a layer of sliced hardboiled eggs, the grated rind and juice of one lemon and then cover with remaining potato. Pour cheese sauce over it all and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 180c until bubbling.
Don't forget the salt and pepper.

smileeah, Jun 10, 10:00am
While I was cooking that I got my 9yr old to make a dessert - Sponge fingers with a can of mixed berries in syrup poured over them, then a layer of chocolate custard I bought from the supermarket and over that some whipped cream with grated chocolate to finish. Was a huge hit and so simple.

I made them all eat my food before they could have dessert lol.

korbo, Jun 10, 10:13am
yum....

korbo, Jun 10, 10:14am
my mum used to make a dish with hardboiled eggs, onions, baked beans, mashed spud on top, and it had this sauce with coffee in it. have no idea on making it tho.....

smileeah, Jun 10, 10:21am
Wow that sounds different to say the least. Coffee and baked beans... :)

arden22, Jun 10, 11:36am
Well smileeah, I'll be making your dish tomorrow - it sounds just like my kind of thing. Thank you.

jody23, Jun 11, 6:44am
I might make this too, sounds like something that would be good for reheating for work lunches which i always have difficulty thinking of things to have and end up buying

firemansgirl, Jun 11, 6:49am
Comfort food for me is anything my Mum makes, although with me in Auckland and her in Levin it doesn't happen a lot. Any soup that is thick enough to stand the spoon in (pea & ham) whichused to be served with cheese scones.... carb overload, so yummy. Golden steamed pudding with custard... apple or rhubarb crumble.....

smileeah, Jun 11, 7:55am
Agreed!
Although I have (what I thought were) fond memories of this bread and cheese-topped meatloaf my mother used to make...turns out I didn't even like eating it. lol
Her hand written recipe books are full of yummy sounding things (some of it is from her extreme health kick days and they don't sound so great mind).
I am lucky she enjoys food as much as I do.

Her christmas day dessert creation was outstanding. Was basically layers of yummy fruit including pawpaw with some lemon yoghurt mixed with cream layered amongst it all. I think trifle was her inspiration. It was raved about anyway.

indy95, Jun 12, 1:02am
Thank you, smileeah. That solves the problem of Sunday night tea very nicely.

t.gypsy, Jun 12, 3:34am
what sized tin do you use?? will have a go at making this..

smileeah, Jun 12, 4:33am
I used a square pyrex dish 21cmx21cm and 5.5cm high.
To give you an idea of quantities I used 5 or 6 decent sized potatoes, 4 eggs, the 2nd largest tin of salmon (could use 2 tins) and made the cheese sauce using 2 cups milk. It filled my dish right to the top.

smileeah, Jun 12, 6:42am
Thinking about it, next time I would use slightly less potato and more eggs and maybe more salmon.

t.gypsy, Jun 12, 10:43am
awesome will be giving a go

mydebe, Jun 12, 9:31pm
That sounds soooo good! Growing up, my Mum used to make a dish called 'Hungry Teenagers', boiled spuddies, boiled eggs, onions, frozen peas etc covered with white sauce then cheese and bread crumbs. It's the simple things that always taste the best.