Timer for crockpot

dolphin9, Jun 9, 5:48am
Bought a slow cooker a year ago and its great but some recipes call for 6hrs cooking and I'm at work for 8hrs.So bought a timer you plug it into so it would turn on a couple of hours after I've left for work, and OMG you need a maths degree to work out how to use the thing.So can anyone recommend an easy to use appliance timer and where do you get them?Thanks

norse_westie, Jun 9, 6:53am
I got one at Noel Leemings - its like the ones on heaters, you push the little orange thingies in for time to start, and out for stop. Once you understand it, its really easy and foolproof.

dolphin9, Jun 9, 7:00am
So do you set it like a clock to start at a set time?

jills3, Jun 9, 7:36am
Hey is it so wrong to overcook,sure makes its tender.I have only just got into crockpots and put items in and leave cooking till I come home.As I say at least its tender.

sooseque, Jun 9, 9:50am
I also bought a timer that was so complicated and frustrating to use that I got another one from Mitre 10 that sounds like norse_westie's above but mine has little grey thingies, ha. If I am doing a casserole/stew type dish I put it to come on around 1 to 2 pm, if I put it on when I left in the morning it would be way overcooked, the slowcookers these days are way hotter than the old crockpots.

otterhound, Jun 9, 11:47pm
That sounds like the one I use, except my little thingies are white, not orange=)Got mine a the supermarket.

kiwitrish, Jun 10, 12:38am
Same here.Never had any complaints.

norse_westie, Jun 10, 2:48am
Yep. Mine has a little arrow that I set to what the time is now and then press in the thingies. Practice and you will be surprised how easy it is once it clicks.

norse_westie, Jun 10, 2:49am
You can overdo it. I often am away from home for 12-14 hours and the food resembles tasteless mush. And I do porridge overnight in the crockpot, but 4 hours is adequate or it gets a slightly burnt taste and goes too mushy.

dolphin9, Jun 10, 3:42am
Is it a digital one?Don't want to spend more money on the wrong one.Thanks

otterhound, Jun 10, 4:32am
That's the one - less than $10.And no, they're not digital, you just plug it into the power point then plug your crockpot into it.Really simple..

dolphin9, Jun 10, 5:48am
Bought a slow cooker a year ago and its great but some recipes call for 6hrs cooking and I'm at work for 8hrs.So bought a timer you plug it into so it would turn on a couple of hours after I've left for work, and OMG you need a maths degree to work out how to use the thing.So can anyone recommend an easy to use appliance timer and where do you get them!Thanks

dolphin9, Jun 10, 7:00am
So do you set it like a clock to start at a set time!

sooseque, Jun 10, 9:50am
I also bought a timer that was so complicated and frustrating to use that I got another one from Mitre 10 that sounds like norse_westie's above but mine has little grey thingies, ha. If I am doing a casserole/stew type dish I put it to come on around 1 to 2 pm, if I put it on when I left in the morning it would be way overcooked, the slowcookers these days are way hotter than the old crockpots.

norse_westie, Jun 10, 10:15am
As otterhound says, not digital. It looks like it has a (24 hour) clock face with tiny little pins around the outer circle. Cheap as chips too. Def under $10

dolphin9, Jun 11, 3:42am
Is it a digital one!Don't want to spend more money on the wrong one.Thanks

otterhound, Jun 11, 4:32am
That's the one - less than $10.And no, they're not digital, you just plug it into the power point then plug your crockpot into it.Really simple.