how to make an

twops23, Mar 17, 1:13am
custard pie thanks

unknowndisorder, Mar 17, 4:09am
http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=21&t=158&
p=233
Came across this whilst looking for an orange/lemon poppy seed cake (no luck with that, as don't have a food processor & brain stuffed as to how to pulp orange lol)

jessie981, Mar 17, 4:31am
This sounds delicious (Google)
Ingredients (serves 6)
Melted butter, for greasing
185g butter, at room temperature
165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
2 tsp finely grated orange rind
2 tsp finely granted lemon rind
3 eggs, at room temperature, separated
1 x 300g carton sour light cream
265g (1 3/4 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
110g (2/3 cup) poppy seeds
Syrup
2 tsp finely grated orange rind
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
125mls (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
60mls (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C.

Brush a 2-litre (8 cup) fluted ring pan with the melted butter to grease lightly.

Use electric beaters to beat the butter, sugar and orange and lemon rind in a medium mixing bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg yolks and beat until combined. Add the sour light cream and beat until well combined.

Add the flour and poppy seeds and use a large metal spoon to fold until combined.

Use electric beaters or a hand whisk to whisk the egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Use a large metal spoon to fold the egg whites into the cake batter until just combined.

Spoon the batter into the greased pan and smooth the top.

Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

To make the syrup: combine the orange and lemon rinds, orange and lemon juices and the sugar in a small saucepan.

Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Turn cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm with the warm syrup spooned over.

unknowndisorder, Nov 9, 4:53pm
Cheers for that Jessie.
110g seeds is too much. A packet is fine (40g). Instead of the sauce, I reckon a lemon icing (lemon rind, juice & icing sugar) would do the trick. Ended up being a bit more work than I'd intended after a day weeding. (ah well, don't have to bake tomorrow at least lol)

Twops - check out the link I posted for a range of different pumpkin pies - savoury & sweet at a quick glance.