Where did my chocolate layer go wrong?

sophia4, Jun 6, 6:15am
Today I made a yummy chocolate caramel slice but the chocolate layer on the top didn't set, it stayed sticky and mousse like, slowly runs down the side when you take a piece.Because of this I was forced to eat it straight out of the container with spray cream as a pudding but I digress :oDyum
The chocolate layer part of the recipe was very vague: "Once cool and set ice with combined melted chocolate and cream.".To do that I melted the chocolate in a clean pan over a very low heat and then stirred in the cream (100g cream to 150g chocolate).Admittedly the chocolate tried to solidify again when I put the cold cream in but after some patient stirring it was just about all melted when I poured it over the slice.I hid the last few lumps of chocolate with extra flakes of it on the top.
Usually when you buy from bakery etc the chocolate is almost completely solid.I used dairy milk chocolate as I don't like dark chocolate.
So following on from this, does anyone have a good recipe that doesn't have coconut in the base?
thanks Cooks

kiwibubbles, Jun 6, 6:55am
to make chocolate ganache generally i bring the cream to the boil first and then take off heat and put the chocolate (still solid) in and stir until chocolate has melted into the hot cream. If it doesn't melt completely then i put over a bain marie to finish off.

tinkagirl, Jun 6, 7:05am
I agree with kiwibubble, you shouldn't add cold cream as it will seize the chocolate

rosathemad, Jun 6, 7:05am
Generally when mixing chocolate and cream as icing (ganache) you would heat the cream and add the unmelted chocolate to the cream - so long as you don't overheat this usually works. However, for chocolate caramel slice I use 150g of chocolate and about 15g of butter, melted together - it doesn't set completely firm but will set and not dribble. Can't help you with the coconut-free base, though, I love the coconut!

norse_westie, Jun 6, 7:19am
I make ganache both ways: melting the chocolate first then adding cream makes it thicker and has more volume, but cream first then melting chocolate in it is thinner but simply divine to eat.

I wonder if the cocoa content on your chocolate was too low. I wouldnt touch cadburys with a barge pole, I use whittakers even for baking, and the 50 or 70% cocoa is fine.

kinna54, Jun 6, 7:57am
Agree with you on the cocoa norse_westie. I wrote to Cadbury and complained, never even got a reply!! Won't waste my money on their products!!

sophia4, Jun 7, 6:15am
Today I made a yummy chocolate caramel slice but the chocolate layer on the top didn't set, it stayed sticky and mousse like, slowly runs down the side when you take a piece.Because of this I was forced to eat it straight out of the container with spray cream as a pudding but I digress :oDyum
The chocolate layer part of the recipe was very vague: "Once cool and set ice with combined melted chocolate and cream.".To do that I melted the chocolate in a clean pan over a very low heat and then stirred in the cream (100g cream to 150g chocolate).Admittedly the chocolate tried to solidify again when I put the cold cream in but after some patient stirring it was just about all melted when I poured it over the slice.I hid the last few lumps of chocolate with extra flakes of it on the top.
Usually when you buy from bakery etc the chocolate is almost completely solid.I used dairy milk chocolate as I don't like dark chocolate.
So following on from this, does anyone have a good recipe that doesn't have coconut in the base!
thanks Cooks

kiwibubbles, Jun 7, 6:55am
to make chocolate ganache generally i bring the cream to the boil first and then take off heat and put the chocolate (still solid) in and stir until chocolate has melted into the hot cream. If it doesn't melt completely then i put over a bain marie to finish off.

tinkagirl, Jun 7, 7:05am
I agree with kiwibubble, you shouldn't add cold cream as it will seize the chocolate

rosathemad, Jun 7, 7:05am
Generally when mixing chocolate and cream as icing (ganache) you would heat the cream and add the unmelted chocolate to the cream - so long as you don't overheat this usually works. However, for chocolate caramel slice I use 150g of chocolate and about 15g of butter, melted together - it doesn't set completely firm but will set and not dribble. Can't help you with the coconut-free base, though, I love the coconut!

kinna54, Jun 7, 7:57am
Agree with you on the cocoa norse_westie. I wrote to Cadbury and complained, never even got a reply! Won't waste my money on their products!