Advice please on making ganache

melissa411, Jun 5, 8:01am
I am making a cake that I want to coat in ganache then fix chocolate shards around the outside. I'm wanting the ganache to be sticky so the shards will attach then for it to dry up so then I can place a small floral arrangement on top. Last time I made ganache it was too runny, I am wanting it thick. TIA

lx4000, Jun 5, 8:24am
add less cream :)

ellie04, Jun 5, 8:29am
Put in the fridge for a little while to set a bit - this will also thicken it up.

rosathemad, Jun 6, 12:32am
The most important thing is not to overheat the chocolate - this might be too much information but the molecular structure of chocolate breaks down at around body temperature, and if it is melted below that it will reset (causing the ganache to firm up); if it gets hotter you might find the ganache will stay runny. I had hit-and-miss runny ganache for years before I learnt this! I now steer clear of the microwave; bring the cream only just to the boil on the stove, take off the heat, add the chocolate, gently stir until the chocolate is half melted, then transfer to a bowl to prevent the mixture heating any further and continue to stir until melted. :-)

gemsbymidnight, Jun 6, 2:32am
I made one yesterday with white chocolate and I couldnt wait for it to thicken up so I beat it with an electric beater til thick, once piped onto the cupcakes I put them in the fridge and it set really nicely

melissa411, Jun 6, 8:01am
I am making a cake that I want to coat in ganache then fix chocolate shards around the outside. I'm wanting the ganache to be sticky so the shards will attach then for it to dry up so then I can place a small floral arrangement on top. Last time I made ganache it was too runny, I am wanting it thick. TIA