What a difference a day makes - well a slow cooker

kuaka, Jun 4, 8:45am
anyway.Yesterday I roasted half a chicken, and it was a bit stringy and tough.Hubby commented that it must have died of old age!Today I did the other half in the slow cooker, with onions, carrots, kumara and potatoes and some chicken stock.Delicious.

kuaka, Jun 4, 9:12am
First I coated the chicken in seasoned flour, then browned it in the frying pan, so it not only tasted good, it looked good too.

auburn4, Jun 4, 10:37am
Roasteda chicken for the first time in the slow cooker today. It was perfect. Just sat it on an upturned saucer.

fifie, Jun 4, 8:18pm
Yum Kuaka that sounds nice. Slow cookers are great arn't they, i have 2 make soups, stews, desserts, roasts, chutneys, good for mince dishes,Only 2 of us sometimes i use aovenproof bowl inside the inner bowl, for smaller quantities and that works well to depending what i make. Alison Holsts paprika chicken is real good to and so moist.

t.gypsy, Jun 5, 4:01am
yes its brill as long when you do pickled pork you dont just about put the entire contents of a cinnamon container in it...

kuaka, Jun 5, 4:06am
Oops t.gypsy - that sounds almost as bad as the time I was making apple cinnamon muffins and was about to put curry powder in instead of the cinnamon and I thought "that smells a bit strong (understatement!)".When I looked at the container I nearly died.Can't imagine what they would have tasted like.

t.gypsy, Jun 5, 4:10am
yeah well my brothers gf said she was making wedges and went to put some tuscan seasoning but unbeknown to her my brother replaced what was left of the tuscan seasoning with cayenne pepper and didnt bother to relable the container do i need to add what happened.

as with the pickled pork i have had it on low since about 11ish in water with brown sugar,white vinegar,cloves,tarragon,mixed herbs,paprika and cinnamon so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. we are going to have roasted veges on the side.

kuaka, Jun 5, 8:58am
Sounds good.We had chicken rice risotto tonight with loads of veg added.It was quite tasty, even though it was just a glorified packet risotto (Chinese flavour) which my other half smothered in tomato sauce, and when he was halfway through eating it he asked "where are the potatoes?" - men! (Couldn't have been too bad, he came back for seconds)

fifie, Jun 5, 8:18pm
Yum Kuaka that sounds nice. Slow cookers are great arn't they, i have 2 make soups, stews, desserts, roasts, chutneys, good for mince dishes,Only 2 of us sometimes i use aovenproof bowl inside the inner bowl, for smaller quantities and that works well to depending what i make. Alison Holsts paprika chicken is real good to and so moist.

nunesy, Jun 5, 8:19pm
Hi there, my oven is broken so can't cook anything in it and I'm sick of cooking on the stovetop!! So, if I want to roast a chicken incrockpot, are you talking about a whole chicken or chicken pieces?Do I just add the veges at the beginning, chopped up as you would for an oven roast??? Would LOVE to add roast chicken and veges to my repertoire this winter... I'm a crockpot novice so just getting into it now, thanks.

kuaka, Jun 5, 8:40pm
nunesy, I'm a bit of a novice too, I must admit.Well I've had a crockpot for years, but didn't use it much, and then the inside cracked so I've got a new one (a George Foreman one that I got with my flybuys points and I love it).

I cooked half a chicken the other day (roasted half in the electric frying pan and it was tough and stringy) so next day I did the other half in the crockpot.Browned it first in the frying pan, then put it in the crockpot on top of chopped onions, carrots, kumara and potato.Added some chicken stock and cooked it on high for about 5 hours then put it on auto for another two hours.It was cooked perfectly and was really good, tasty, moist and tender.

pickles7, Jun 5, 8:48pm
Mine is the oval George Foreman one, that I got with my flyby's points as well....kuaka.... I use it a lot. I don't think there is anything that we haven't liked cooked in it.

kuaka, Jun 5, 11:47pm
pickles - sounds like the same as the one I've got.I haven't had it long and have only used it a couple of times, but I much prefer it to the old "original" Sunbeam crockpot that I had.I don't know why, not sure if it's the shape or the white bowl instead of the brown one.Anyway, it will get plenty of use from now on.

gerry64, Jun 6, 12:10am
any tips for a boneless pork shoulder in crock pot - husband doesnt want a stew - thought I could do crackle seperately

t.gypsy, Jun 6, 4:01am
yes its brill as long when you do pickled pork you dont just about put the entire contents of a cinnamon container in it.

kuaka, Jun 6, 4:06am
Oops t.gypsy - that sounds almost as bad as the time I was making apple cinnamon muffins and was about to put curry powder in instead of the cinnamon and I thought "that smells a bit strong (understatement!)".When I looked at the container I nearly died.Can't imagine what they would have tasted like.

t.gypsy, Jun 6, 4:10am
yeah well my brothers gf said she was making wedges and went to put some tuscan seasoning but unbeknown to her my brother replaced what was left of the tuscan seasoning with cayenne pepper and didnt bother to relable the container do i need to add what happened.

as with the pickled pork i have had it on low since about 11ish in water with brown sugar,white vinegar,cloves,tarragon,mixed herbs,paprika and cinnamon so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. we are going to have roasted veges on the side.

kuaka, Jun 6, 8:58am
Sounds good.We had chicken rice risotto tonight with loads of veg added.It was quite tasty, even though it was just a glorified packet risotto (Chinese flavour) which my other half smothered in tomato sauce, and when he was halfway through eating it he asked "where are the potatoes!" - men! (Couldn't have been too bad, he came back for seconds)

nunesy, Jun 6, 8:19pm
Hi there, my oven is broken so can't cook anything in it and I'm sick of cooking on the stovetop! So, if I want to roast a chicken incrockpot, are you talking about a whole chicken or chicken pieces!Do I just add the veges at the beginning, chopped up as you would for an oven roast! Would LOVE to add roast chicken and veges to my repertoire this winter. I'm a crockpot novice so just getting into it now, thanks.

kuaka, Jun 6, 8:40pm
nunesy, I'm a bit of a novice too, I must admit.Well I've had a crockpot for years, but didn't use it much, and then the inside cracked so I've got a new one (a George Foreman one that I got with my flybuys points and I love it).

I cooked half a chicken the other day (roasted half in the electric frying pan and it was tough and stringy) so next day I did the other half in the crockpot.Browned it first in the frying pan, then put it in the crockpot on top of chopped onions, carrots, kumara and potato.Added some chicken stock and cooked it on high for about 5 hours then put it on auto for another two hours.It was cooked perfectly and was really good, tasty, moist and tender.

pickles7, Jun 6, 8:48pm
Mine is the oval George Foreman one, that I got with my flyby's points as well.kuaka. I use it a lot. I don't think there is anything that we haven't liked cooked in it.

kuaka, Jun 6, 11:47pm
pickles - sounds like the same as the one I've got.I haven't had it long and have only used it a couple of times, but I much prefer it to the old "original" Sunbeam crockpot that I had.I don't know why, not sure if it's the shape or the white bowl instead of the brown one.Anyway, it will get plenty of use from now on.