Soup for winter

skata, Jun 4, 2:36am
I've been into making a big pot of soup for the family lately.Any suggestions and recipes for some nice tasting ones? Thks.

jessie981, Jun 4, 2:39am
Heaps of choice in lefthand messageboard, key in soup under keyword then under date posted key anytime.

skata, Jun 4, 2:44am
Thanks jessie, I'm wanting people's favourites to make.

marlin9, Jun 4, 2:59am
MY crockpot is on right now with pea and ham soup.Bacon bones, soup mix, carrots, celery and onions - smells devine.This is tomorrows lunch and some fro my brother who has just lost his wife!!!

jessie981, Jun 4, 3:36am
they usually are their favs

gaspodetwd, Jun 4, 5:19am
My favorites are tomato, chicken and mushroom, cream of mushroom. Pumpkin and bacon. Chicken and sweetcorn.

kinna54, Jun 4, 5:52am
I cooked up a bacon bone for stock, and then made pumplin & bacon soup, and leek, potato & bacon. Just added my usual bit of this and that, processed it down and froze, As you reheat (don't allow to boil) just at the end add 1/2 to 1 cup of warmed hot but not boiling milk, stir thru and serve. Fantastic.

uli, Jun 4, 6:22am
The lefthand search option IS what people have posted here as their favourites - why do you think we should keep repeating them?

paix1, Jun 4, 7:45am
haha uli!!!My fav skata is seafood chowder- & I got the recipe from the left hand search function - mine tastes AWESOME!!!!!

nzmu, Jun 4, 8:55am
Add to slow cooker...

1 pkt king vege soup mix
1 small tray of bacon bones (or a hock)
1-2 grated carrots
1 lg onion chopped
half tsp of celery salt

Cook on low 7-8 hours.

darn, I want some now lol.

auburn4, Jun 4, 10:35am
Try Thai pumpkin soup with coconut cream.Google it. Use evaporated coconut flavoured milk for a low fat option. just made a huge pot of it today, now in freezer in daily servings for quick lunch.

janny3, Jun 4, 11:33am
You're right mu, it is very more-ish.
Whacked in some chopped spuds (helps soak up the saltiness as well as help thicken) and a can of tomatoes.Delicious.Got through 1 litre of the stuff on my own today...

kiwibubbles, Jun 4, 9:03pm
pea and ham soup, pumpkin soup, vegetable soup (pumpkin, kumara, carrot, potato, onion), kumara and bacon soup

ruby19, Jun 4, 9:27pm
In our house , our fav's are split green pea soup, Sweet-corn chowder, potato & leek, and mexican tortilla soup.Green split peas soup.

This is amazing since there are so little ingredients. Also very economical!

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1.5 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
5 cups water
2-3 tsp vegata vegetable stock powder*
a few pinches of smoked paprika

Add olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the split peas and water and paprika. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through. Puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Season to taste.
* I add 2 tsp of stock powder to the water to start, then taste at the end and add a little more powder if needed to enhance the flavour. You can add lemon juice at end if liked.

Sweetcorn chowder,
2 large potatoes peeled & cubed
1 large onion chopped,
2 tbsp butter
2 cups water
2 tsp maggie green herb stock
1 400g tin creamed corn
1 cup corn kernals (frozen)
1/2 cup water
1 cup milk,
2 tbsp basil pesto
salt and pepper
pinch cayenne
1/2 cup sour cream

Saute the onions in butter until soft and golden do not brown, add the cubed potatoes water and stock powder and cook potatoes until just tender, add the creamed corn, water milk, sour cream, and gently bring to a boil, then simmer until heated through. Add the pesto and seasonings.

lindylambchops1, Jun 5, 2:53am
auburn4 wrote:
Try Thai pumpkin soup with coconut cream.Google it. Use evaporated coconut flavoured milk for a low fat option. just made a huge pot of it today, now in freezer in daily servings for quick lunch.[/quote

OMG!I just made that today for lunch using the NZ Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Lisa Loveday it was delicious.I didn't liquidize it.It was just fine chunky.The taste YUMMMMMMmmmmmm