Calasparra rice

suzanna, Jun 1, 12:14am
I would be really interested to know if any of you who are fans of paella have used an alternative to calasparra rice when making it? I don't like arborio as it's way too creamy. I found the following about bomba rice on a NZ site but can't find any in Chch.
'The rice is another important aspect of paella and Bomba rice should be used when available. It is a plump short grain rice, slow growing, in cold mountain waters free from pesticides and herbicides. Bomba requires intensive care when cultivating, and for that reason nearly faced extinction, but was saved by traditionalists and gastronomes. Its qualities are that it absorbs 30% more broth than other varieties and holds its shape when cooked.' diveplanet.co.nz

suzanna, Jun 1, 7:48am
Oh anyone?? Uli, elliehen, davidt4?

lurtz, Jun 1, 8:44am
Both available in NZ. Google to find suppliers.I'm not sure if I can mention the name of suppliers on Trade Me, but Bomba available via a big NZ food supply website beginning with S.Calasparrais sold in the Te Horo shop of a well known New Zealandcaterer.

lurtz, Jun 1, 8:58am
PS. Both have websites, and will deliver nationwide. To be honest, I had never heard of either of the two types of rice you mention. But I am not a food expert, however, I was interested in your question, so I simply Googled for NZ suppliers who could sendyou someto Christchurch.Aborio, I use for an occasional risotto, and I don't find it too creamy, unless overcooked.For rice meals generally, I use wholegrain. It's tasty, nutritious,( not stripped of goodness), and it is sustaining.