Lamb shanks

wayneandjudith, May 29, 9:39am
Recently I had a yummy meal of lamb shanks with vegetables and a gorgeous rich brown gravy at a local restaurant. I'm not very good with cooking meat or gravy so I usually stick to chicken etc - so could all the wonderful experts on here tell me how to cook lamb shanks and how to make a lovely rich brown gravy to go with it?: ) Thanks

theanimal1, May 29, 10:02am
4 lamb shanks
2 onions or 6 shallots, sliced into rings
5 cloves garlic sliced
rind and juice of 1 orange
1 cup red wine (shiraz is best)
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar (can be substituted with sugar or honey)
1 cup chicken stock
few sprigs rosemary
salt and pepper to taste.
butter or oil for browning.

Method:

Brown all sides of lamb shanks in frying pan in butter or oil. Set in bottom of crock pot with sprigs of rosemary.

Fry onions,garlic and orange rind in lamb juices until onions start to go a little crispy. Add all remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 5 minutes then pour onto lamb shanks in crock pot.

Cook on low for 7 hours then on high with the lid off for 1.5 hours.

wayneandjudith, May 29, 10:08am
Thanks for that - will try that recipe and look at the websites. theanimal1 - does that recipe end up with a thick gravy?

wayneandjudith, May 30, 9:39am
Recently I had a yummy meal of lamb shanks with vegetables and a gorgeous rich brown gravy at a local restaurant. I'm not very good with cooking meat or gravy so I usually stick to chicken etc - so could all the wonderful experts on here tell me how to cook lamb shanks and how to make a lovely rich brown gravy to go with it!: ) Thanks

wayneandjudith, May 30, 10:08am
Thanks for that - will try that recipe and look at the websites. theanimal1 - does that recipe end up with a thick gravy!