Why oh why.....muffins are like pancakes...

Page 1 / 2
sarahw2, May 28, 9:54am
Well not quite....but they DO NOT rise up very high and dont look as good as my sister in laws ones!! Hubby loves muffins and I always feel like I am disappointing him:-(
I follow the recipe to the tee....but no avail!! Can anyone help me? Any ideas? Thanks VERY much.

nzkea1, May 28, 9:56am
i make right good muffins they never fail and I use left over sour cream / yoghurt never use milk

geldof, May 28, 10:01am
Could you be trying too hard?
Don't over mix them.

starcrazd, May 28, 10:02am
Do you over mix perhaps? They are fussy things to make at times. The less you mix them the better they will rise. Infact dont really mix more fold.

winnie231, May 28, 10:03am
Check the BBD on your baking powder ...

sarahw2, May 28, 10:06am
I try not too, then I still see flour that has not mixed in and I then mix more. Is there supposed to still be flour there unmixed?? LOL....

paora-tm, May 28, 11:37am
Betty Crocker is your friend.

deus701, May 28, 11:40am
Yes. you just mix until everything is just moistened. It is ok to see unmixed or specks of dry flour

kuaka, May 28, 11:48am
Sift your flour so there are no lumps, and then if a little is unmixed it won't matter too much.I don't have problems with muffins, but I can't make scones to save myself - and believe me I have tried.

mwood, May 28, 12:01pm
lumps are good - two bowls - 1 wet and 1 dry - mix them gently - do not stir them -- they will rise.

marcs, May 28, 12:41pm
over mixing and tempnot high enough

calista, May 28, 7:56pm
Also depends on the type of muffins. in the Healthy nuffin book A Holst says sone types are more likely to be flat/

I mix the dry ingredients thoroughly, then just fold them into the wet.The batter isb't meant to be as smooth as some other baked goods are.

dollertree, May 28, 9:01pm
Just try this simple muffin and see.............
3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 50g butter, 1 cup sugar, vanilla and 1 cup milk.....mix just like you know.If you can work out with this simple recipe then you can make more out of it.

theanimal1, May 28, 11:00pm
You may have over mixed
Temperature of oven either too hot or not hot enough
Your baking powder or self raising flour may be a bit old

This seems to be the problem with muffins, scones and cakes.

cgvl, May 29, 1:20am
m2cw did you use enough baking powder, my recipe uses 4 tsps to 1½ cups flour, basically 2tsp baking powder to every cup flour. Agree with others be careful not to over mix. I fold wet and dry together until just blended.
Sometimes if you use bran in them they go flat too. If using bran or rolled oats soak them in milk or water first for 5 mins stops muffins from being too dry.

cgvl, May 29, 1:23am
Kuaka: I make scones in the food processer. Dry ingredients and butter .. blend til crumb like then add grated cheese or fruit and start processer, add milk slowly until starts to form a ball. Empty onto bench and knead to combine then roll out to desired thickness.
I make rocks if I dont use this method.

sarahw2, May 29, 3:58am
Ok, thanks!! I will try this one out, then add some "bits"...:-))

sarahw2, May 29, 9:54am
Well not quite.but they DO NOT rise up very high and dont look as good as my sister in laws ones! Hubby loves muffins and I always feel like I am disappointing him:-(
I follow the recipe to the tee.but no avail! Can anyone help me! Any ideas! Thanks VERY much.

geldof, May 29, 10:01am
Could you be trying too hard!
Don't over mix them.

starcrazd, May 29, 10:02am
Do you over mix perhaps! They are fussy things to make at times. The less you mix them the better they will rise. Infact dont really mix more fold.

winnie231, May 29, 10:03am
Check the BBD on your baking powder .

sarahw2, May 29, 10:06am
I try not too, then I still see flour that has not mixed in and I then mix more. Is there supposed to still be flour there unmixed! LOL.

sarahw2, May 29, 10:06am
Ooooh yeah, will check thanks:-)

kuaka, May 29, 11:48am
Sift your flour so there are no lumps, and then if a little is unmixed it won't matter too much.I don't have problems with muffins, but I can't make scones to save myself - and believe me I have tried.

schnauzer11, May 29, 12:45pm
I'm with winnie-you need to regularly buy fresh BP,and keep it well-sealed.