WELLINGTON FOOD SHOW

Page 1 / 2
konini2, May 27, 4:21am
Have just had opportunity to attend the first day of the WFS. Have not been for a few years.Entry ticket $25 for adult, $10 for (optional goody bag/wineglass/holder).Managed to catch both cooking demos by Simon Gault and Ray McVinney-both good value.Beyond that, I was personally not overly impressed. A lot of products that you could probably buy cheaper outside. Adequate opportunity to sample wine, but food samples were not that evident (lots of dips and olive oils!!.).It was extremely busy today, so brace yourself for a seething mass of humanity during the weekend.

wildflower, May 27, 4:24am
I won a double pass, am going tomorrow.Hope good enough to be worth trip from Masterton.

eastie3, May 27, 5:52am
Konini,I agree.After last year I have decided to give it a miss,and I have been every year since it first started.I used to spend most of my time at the cooking demos,but the rest of it was very same-y,and the crowds were too much for me.The $25 ticket price is off-putting too.

Maybe next year.

rainrain1, May 27, 5:56am
Wellyfood

rosathemad, May 27, 6:21am
That's a shame - I'll be paying it a visit tomorrow, crossing my fingers for some good deals. I guess time will tell if the stuff I like is worth going for! I agree that the entry is pretty steep, considering all the stallholders pay to attend as well.

theanimal1, May 27, 9:35am
if i had the money i would go, for more catering ideas, but alas i dont.

fxx99, May 27, 9:45am
Biggest con in the world. Just a day out for a lot of bored wellingtonians.

solarboy, May 27, 1:02pm
Website says on-site parking is $8. Presumably that's for the day though I hear parking charges have gone up in Wellington recently though I figure $8 an hour would be over the top ?.

julie55, May 27, 10:51pm
The Foodshow is a rip off! $8 to park the car after the attendants did not manage the flow so no car parks by 11am yesterday. $25 to get in - to do what? I agree with earlier posts - presentations good for getting a sit down and be entertained if you are interested - the rest a waste of time and money. I have been every year for the past 10 years - they bring a food show into a sophisticated food capital who is a perfect market for testing and trying new products - see the stand importing the Jamie Oliver brand of pestos and sauces from the UK for example - and then provide measly tastings of a few dips, olive oils and sausages to name a few. And yesterday was the 'quiet' day -yeh right. Come on show organisers -Wellington deserves much better than this! Maybe it is time for Wellingtonians to organise their own - lets celebrate our wider region and all we have - reckon we could do a much better job for the many foodies out there!

konini2, May 28, 1:31am
I fully agree with #9.Ever since this show moved to "Rort Palace" (Cake Tin), the prices have escalated significantly for the public/stall-holders and the focus on the promotion/tasting and enjoyment of local food/produce has been totally lost.I remember the pre-caketin days (think the last was held on Queens Wharf) There was no entry fee and you could spend as much/little as you wished by buying "tokens" (equivalent to $1) The food/wine samples were worth between 3-5 "tokens"Maybe moving the venue to an open air area (Frank Kitts park/waterfront extednding area around to the Whakawhare(sp)Maybe the concept needs to go back and explore the basics.

My other real concern yesterday during my visit was about safety. Lots of people crammed into a very confined space.Evacuation of the cooking theatre would be a total nightmare in a real emergency. I for one will definitely not be returning to future shows.

konini2, May 28, 4:21am
Have just had opportunity to attend the first day of the WFS. Have not been for a few years.Entry ticket $25 for adult, $10 for (optional goody bag/wineglass/holder).Managed to catch both cooking demos by Simon Gault and Ray McVinney-both good value.Beyond that, I was personally not overly impressed. A lot of products that you could probably buy cheaper outside. Adequate opportunity to sample wine, but food samples were not that evident (lots of dips and olive oils!.).It was extremely busy today, so brace yourself for a seething mass of humanity during the weekend.

rosathemad, May 28, 6:21am
That's a shame - I'll be paying it a visit tomorrow, crossing my fingers for some good deals. I guess time will tell if the stuff I like is worth going for! I agree that the entry is pretty steep, considering all the stallholders pay to attend as well.

wildflower, May 28, 7:28am
I found there were food, drink, and wine samples everywhere off all types!It helped obviously I won a double pass but I came away with a full stomach and a bag full of samples etc and for the first time in my life I found a wine I love, I'll even buy a bottle soon.

sandra25, May 28, 9:35am
I have been as a 'customer' for the past 4 or 5 years but this year is my first as a stallholder. Expensive at $3000 + GST, and from a business point of view I would love to see some local chefs demonstrating, they have been the same-old for a long time. Annabelle White is amazing and Ray McVinnie and Simon Gault were excellent. The Napier section is severely reduced this year, but there are a lot of new food companies there this year.

solarboy, May 28, 1:02pm
Website says on-site parking is $8. Presumably that's for the day though I hear parking charges have gone up in Wellington recently though I figure $8 an hour would be over the top !.

srs5, May 28, 9:29pm
I was dissapointed too. Very squisshy, lots of the sames sorts of stuff and quite a few no-show stall holders from the looks of it. Take out the wines and oils- and there was not a lot of stuff that you wouldn't taste test as supermarkets. First year of going, daughter and I travelled, stayed overnight etc, so an expensive experience. Was particularly annoyed at the price.

libra29, May 28, 9:56pm
There are many companies that no longer take their products to the Food Show because of the high cost of having a stall there, I went last year but gave it a miss this year

kiwibubbles, May 28, 10:11pm
people would probably be better off visiting the Frank Kitts Markets on Saturdays, or the Hill Street Market or the Waitangi Park Markets... no entrance fee and probably better food lol

julie55, May 28, 10:51pm
The Foodshow is a rip off! $8 to park the car after the attendants did not manage the flow so no car parks by 11am yesterday. $25 to get in - to do what! I agree with earlier posts - presentations good for getting a sit down and be entertained if you are interested - the rest a waste of time and money. I have been every year for the past 10 years - they bring a food show into a sophisticated food capital who is a perfect market for testing and trying new products - see the stand importing the Jamie Oliver brand of pestos and sauces from the UK for example - and then provide measly tastings of a few dips, olive oils and sausages to name a few. And yesterday was the 'quiet' day -yeh right. Come on show organisers -Wellington deserves much better than this! Maybe it is time for Wellingtonians to organise their own - lets celebrate our wider region and all we have - reckon we could do a much better job for the many foodies out there!

bedazzledjewels, May 29, 12:02am
No, I won't be going back either. Agree kiwibubbles - more real food at a market.

duckmoon, May 29, 1:09am
if they are charging a $25 entrance fee... imagine what they are charging for the stall holders..the local farmers market seems like a better event..

bedazzledjewels, May 29, 3:21am
I think I'll celebrate the Auckland Food show by going to La Cigale market instead!

wildflower, May 29, 7:28am
I found there were food, drink, and wine samples everywhere off all types!It helped obviously I won a double pass but I came away with a full stomach and a bag full of samples etc and for the first time in my life I found a wine I love, I'll even buy a bottle soon.

motorbo, May 29, 9:16am
it was my first ever food show...and i had agreat time, my tickets were 20 each as i bought them prior, some stalls annoyed me as they didnt want to give u free tastings or they were rude cos u didnt buy,,,well no lady not with that attitude, i only got to see sophie gray cook but it was great, fun day out, belly full ...............i will go again

sandra25, May 29, 9:35am
I have been as a 'customer' for the past 4 or 5 years but this year is my first as a stallholder. Expensive at $3000 + GST, and from a business point of view I would love to see some local chefs demonstrating, they have been the same-old for a long time. Annabelle White is amazing and Ray McVinnie and Simon Gault were excellent. The Napier section is severely reduced this year, but there are a lot of new food companies there this year.