Rainbow cake recipe?

turtle_2, May 27, 12:34am
Hey guys,

Anybody got a good recipe for making rainbow cake?
I want to get the kids to make it, but all the recipes I've found say "Use White Cake Packet Mix" and use american ingredients.

TIA

lilyfield, May 27, 12:37am
any white basic recipe will do- color one third with cocoa and one third with pink coloring, and layer it. Even a madeira cake recipe without the lemon flavor.

pam.delilah, May 27, 12:52am
try this one for a wow factor.
Pop on the web site ti see how it is done /ww.notquitenigella.com/2010/0-
9/09/rainbow-cake
Rainbow Cake

• 19 oz or (275g) unsalted (sweet) butter
• 1 cup granulated or caster sugar
• 7 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 4 cups (400g) sifted cake flour (to make cake flour, place 2 tablespoons cornflour in a 2 cup measuring cup and top fill up the rest with plain flour)
• 2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
• Food colouring gels in: Royal Blue, Violet, Sky Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C and put a rack in the centre. Butter and line a 18 inch round springform pan. Weigh the bowl of your electric mixer and record the weight-this is important.
Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well-it may look curdled but it’s ok, it will come together once you add the flour. Then add the vanilla extract. Stir in the flour mixture at low speed until just combined.

Now comes the tricky part. Get your food colouring and get 7 bowls or containers. Figure out how much your batter weights. To do this, you weigh the bowl with the batter and subtract the weight of the bowl that you recorded. Mine weighed about 2 kgs (4 pounds). Divide into seven which was just less than 300grams/10.6 ozs per container. The last colour that put in it will dominate so gradually put a little less for the last colour (which for me was red). I started with 280grams for the Royal Blue and ended up with about 220grams for the red.

Take your lined pan. place a circle of the royal blue batter in a circle shape. Then in the centre of this place another circle of batter of the Violet. Keep doing this with the rest of the colours until you reach the last colour red. My dough was a bit too thick so I pressed it down with a sheet of parchment so that it reached the sides. Place it in the oven being careful not to tip the tin sideways.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes. Cool in the pan 10 minutes and then cool.

pam.delilah, May 27, 12:53am
a simple one
MARBLE CAKE
250g butter, softened
1¼ cups caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs
2¼ cups self-raising flour, sifted
¾ cup milk
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 drops red food colouring

VANILLA BUTTER ICING:
50g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp boiling water

1. Heat oven to 160°C fan bake. Grease a 22cm springform cake
tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper. Place butter and
sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy.

2. Beat in vanilla essence and eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour in two batches, alternating with the milk. Divide the mixture between three separate bowls. Beat cocoa powder into one portion, stir red food colouring into one portion and leave one portion plain.

3. Drop large spoonfuls of the different mixtures into the prepared cake tin, alternating the colours. Drag and swirl a blunt knife through the mixtures to create a marble pattern.

4. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in tin, then remove and spread with vanilla butter icing.

5. To make vanilla butter icing, beat all ingredients together in a bowl until pale and creamy.

jessie981, May 27, 1:51am
Thanks pam.delilah. Must be coming the 'in' birthday cake. 10 yr old grandie asked me to bake her one for her birthday. She had tasted it at another party. i baked the Edmonds yonks ago but was very big.

malcovy, May 27, 7:42am
Yum, marble cake.I haven't made that in ages.When I have made it I use raspberry essence with the red food colouring.I will make this for next weekend for someones party, thanks Turtle for asking.

jessie981, May 28, 1:51am
Thanks pam.delilah. Must be coming the 'in' birthday cake. 10 yr old grandie asked me to bake her one for her birthday. She had tasted it at another party. i baked the Edmonds yonks ago but was very big.

malcovy, May 28, 7:42am
Yum, marble cake.I haven't made that in ages.When I have made it I use raspberry essence with the red food colouring.I will make this for next weekend for someones party, thanks Turtle for asking.