Apple crumble recipe please (from start to finish)

moon555, May 26, 11:30pm
I have never made it so please someone who has made it tried and true.Thanks

245sam, May 26, 11:53pm
moon555, here are a couple of my recipe options:-
1. This is the recipe I usually use and because it's made in the food processor I usually make a large container of it and pop it in an icecream container the freezer - at short notice, a can of fruit covered with a layer of this topping and pudding's ready for the oven - quick and easy.

½ cup each of plain flour and rolled oats
¼ cup sugar
50g cold butter, cubed
1 tsp cinnamon - see note below

Using a food processor process all the ingredients together until they are a crumbly mix.
Note: Use whatever sugar you have or prefer - I prefer raw but brown or white are ok too.
Because I prefer to make this "in bulk" and then add the spice according to the fruit I'm using I don't usually add the spice to the crumble topping.
For Apple Crumble I would use 3-4 large apples and grate washed, but unpeeled apples, add the cinnamon to the apples, and then add the crumble topping. 20-30 minutes in the oven at 180°C,and it's ready.

2. This is my Mum's recipe and it's very popular - when the weather is cooler we can almost guarantee that Mum will have made Apple Crumble for us for pudding when we visit. It's a plain topping but yum anyway - sometimes Mum adds whole cloves to the apples for more flavour.

NANA'S/MUM'S CRUMBLE TOPPING
85g butter
55g sugar
vanilla essence
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the vanilla essence. Add the flour and baking powder and mix to form a crumbly mixture.
IMO it is best to use this topping with precooked fruit.

Hope that helps.:-))

rosathemad, May 27, 6:12am
This is mine: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2011/04/childhood-classics-apple-crumble.html

Photos and stuff in case that helps. Mine's not an oaty crumble, but the method is the same. :-)

moon555, May 27, 6:36am
can I use self rising flour?
and has anyone tried it with weetbix

245sam, May 27, 8:59am
moon555, other than when I've used Mum's recipe (above at #2) I have never used any raising agent in my crumble toppings. My Mum told me that her recipe has that baking powder to make the crumble a little bit lighter so if you have no other flour than self-raising flour, then IMO you should just use it.
I personally have not used Weet-bix but 'm sure that over the years I have read of others who have used various cereals - cornflakes, Weet-bix, muesli.

Hope that helps.:-))

janny3, May 27, 9:42am
Process 200 g flour w/ 100 g sugar + 100 butter.