Cheap meat for stews / casseroles???

jenniebee, May 26, 2:26am
What kind of meat do you use for stews or ccasseroles? I want to make a big batch up and freeze it. Does it matter if I use topside or cut blade etc etc??? I don't know meat varieties very well, I'm usually a chicken girl :o) Best place to buy it- pack n save or mad butcher?

pericles, May 26, 2:27am
I use shin beef

angela137, May 26, 2:32am
I've heard cross cut blade is the top of the line in regards to casserole meat - its reasonably priced and is soo yummmmy!! But I rekon any meat leaft in the slower cooker for long enough is going to be tender and delish!! Just make sure you have some seaosning and flavours for the meat juices to stew in and to maximise the meat juice.

bedazzledjewels, May 26, 2:37am
I often use gravy beef in the slow cooker.

kinna54, May 26, 2:38am
I use blade, cross cut if you can get it is good, topside is good,sometimes chuck steak,(but I prfer that for a chunky stove top stew or crockpot)but I shop around for a good price, as often stewing steak is as dear as rump. Make sure the meat is good and red, watch the fat margin and take a good look thru the packaging,.

kob, May 26, 2:57am
gravy beef for me all the way,or blade steak, flour, season and brown first, thencook slow as

nesian_angel1, May 26, 3:08am
^^agree, gravy beef is best:D

jenniebee, May 27, 2:26am
What kind of meat do you use for stews or ccasseroles! I want to make a big batch up and freeze it. Does it matter if I use topside or cut blade etc etc! I don't know meat varieties very well, I'm usually a chicken girl :o) Best place to buy it- pack n save or mad butcher!

angela137, May 27, 2:32am
I've heard cross cut blade is the top of the line in regards to casserole meat - its reasonably priced and is soo yummmmy! But I rekon any meat leaft in the slower cooker for long enough is going to be tender and delish! Just make sure you have some seaosning and flavours for the meat juices to stew in and to maximise the meat juice.