Cooking a Roast Chicken... size 16, need some help

michael.benn, May 25, 11:18pm
I've got a frozen size 16 chicken that I want to roast tonight, can someone give me some cooking instructions? Wanting to do some roast potatos and veges with it. Can start cooking whenever, not sure how long to do it and at what temp etc etc.

tam39, May 25, 11:49pm
I usually put my chickens in the crock pot but you wont have enough time for that now. Mine goes in about 8am and by 5pm is just lovely. Try that for next time.

nzhel, May 25, 11:51pm
The Edmonds cookbook suggests 25 minutes per 500 grms + 20 minutes.
Oven temp - 180C.
Weigh the chicken after it is stuffed to calulate the weight. I often give it a bit longer just to be sure it is well cooked. Test to see if cooked by piercing a thick part of the thigh and the juices should run clear. Rest the chicken for 5-10 minutes before carving.
Good luck - hope it turns out well!

allspices, May 26, 12:36am
You'll need to thaw it first if it isn't already. Try thawing it in the microwave.

greerg, May 26, 2:06am
Do make sure it isthawed before starting to cook it as you definitely can't afford to have undercooked meat in the centre.The instructions re cooking times on the bags are usually fine. If it is unstuffed and in an oven bag about 1hr and 25 mins at 180 degrees, if not in an oven bag add ten to fifteen minutes.Like all meat you should aim to rest it for at least fifteen minutes after it's cooked.Test to make sure the juices run clear before you take it out of the oven.I use an oven bag for the chicken and cook the roast vegetables in a separate dish.Cut them into pieces and brush or spay them with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings of your choice.Thyme is nice with chicken.Bake until golden.The time will depend on the size of the pieces.Iusually do 2.5 cm cubes for about an hour.When you remove the chicken fromthe bag and cover it in foil to rest you can use the juices to make your gravy.If you have it a bit of wine added to them gravy gives it some extra zing.

kinna54, May 26, 2:52am
I often thaw chickens first in the microwave. For lovely crunchy roasties, par cook them in the microwave with about a TBSP water (about 2-3 mins each side) depending how many you have, pat them dry and place them in a non stick dish; sprinkle them with a good dollop of oil and hot bake 200c for a few mins. turn over during cooking.You can take your chicken out while you cook the vegs like this, cover the chicken with foil, and let it rest while the veges cook. They don't take long and chicken will stay hot if well covered, resting like this improves the meat flavour. Enjoy your meal!

michael.benn, May 26, 11:18pm
I've got a frozen size 16 chicken that I want to roast tonight, can someone give me some cooking instructions! Wanting to do some roast potatos and veges with it. Can start cooking whenever, not sure how long to do it and at what temp etc etc.

allspices, May 27, 12:36am
You'll need to thaw it first if it isn't already. Try thawing it in the microwave.

greerg, May 27, 2:06am
Do make sure it isthawed before starting to cook it as you definitely can't afford to have undercooked meat in the centre.The instructions re cooking times on the bags are usually fine. If it is unstuffed and in an oven bag about 1hr and 25 mins at 180 degrees, if not in an oven bag add ten to fifteen minutes.Like all meat you should aim to rest it for at least fifteen minutes after it's cooked.Test to make sure the juices run clear before you take it out of the oven.I use an oven bag for the chicken and cook the roast vegetables in a separate dish.Cut them into pieces and brush or spay them with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings of your choice.Thyme is nice with chicken.Bake until golden.The time will depend on the size of the pieces.Iusually do 2.5 cm cubes for about an hour.When you remove the chicken fromthe bag and cover it in foil to rest you can use the juices to make your gravy.If you have it a bit of wine added to them gravy gives it some extra zing.

kinna54, May 27, 2:52am
I often thaw chickens first in the microwave. For lovely crunchy roasties, par cook them in the microwave with about a TBSP water (about 2-3 mins each side) depending how many you have, pat them dry and place them in a non stick dish; sprinkle them with a good dollop of oil and hot bake 200c for a few mins. turn over during cooking.You can take your chicken out while you cook the vegs like this, cover the chicken with foil, and let it rest while the veges cook. They don't take long and chicken will stay hot if well covered, resting like this improves the meat flavour. Enjoy your meal!