What is the secret to... The Best Fruit Salad.....

Page 1 / 2
toadfish, May 25, 6:26pm
I am having a Pink Ribbon Breakfast and as part of it there will be fresh fruit salad to go with the Meusli & Yoghurt.

It dawns on me that I haven't made a fresh fruit salad for years....

I Plan to get a couple of cans of peaches in Natural Juice and then just go tothe fruit shop and get.... Pears, apples, pineapple, grapes, bananas (will add at the end) mandarins, kiwifruits and just chop it all up and mix it around.....

Sounds pretty good to me.... Am I missing anything? Anyone got any ideas to make it super special?

barterman007, May 25, 6:30pm
Mmmm..Passionfruit pulp is a must Toadie..YUM YUM

campmum, May 25, 6:32pm
Oops..posted from hubbys account.. You could also put in pomegranate or mango..yum

kob, May 25, 6:53pm
mmmmmm definately mango & passionfruit

toadfish, May 25, 7:12pm
How many passionfruit do you think I would need?

campmum, May 25, 7:23pm
4would be ok...or you could just add a jar of pulp..it is sweet & delicious

toadfish, May 25, 7:41pm
Thanks... I have seen the pulp on the shelves.... Guess I could add it to taste and use the rest in muffins another time?

campmum, May 25, 7:54pm
Yep..or use to top pavalova or meringues...yum yum

jmin, May 25, 9:12pm
I love tinned lychees too.

norse_westie, May 25, 9:24pm
I dont use anything canned personally, but I use a fresh pineapple as the base. And it must have passionfruit and fresh crunchy apple in it. Also segmented and chopped oranges.

rkcroft, May 25, 9:31pm
I don't used anything canned either, but I do use a mix of fresh and dried fruits.Love adding some dried fruit for a bit of extra sweetness.

womp_womp_music, May 26, 2:36am
the bigest secret is to put the bananas down the bottom.
mix it when you are just about to serve it so they dont go all brown

deus701, May 26, 3:28am
I think u missed out the alcohol

pamellie, May 26, 3:47am
The tins of tropical fruit salad are quite good as they are big and chunky pieces and they add something a little different.

kinna54, May 26, 4:13am
sounds like you have got it sorted. When I made fresh fruit salad when catering, i also dipped apples, pears, bananas etc, in lemon or apple juice (slice first and then dip, to ensure complete coverage, ) to stop discolouring.To add colour in a winter fruit salad I used to add kiwi fruit, red or black grapes,and mandarin orange segments (canned is fine as they are ready peeled and a nice colour). I always tried for fresh fruit, but in the winter time variety isn't quite as easy, so canned mandarins and apricots are ok (budget brand apricots are fine they are usually harder) I also used an apple juice base,it isn't quite as runny, or maybe add a dash of the mandarin and clear juice to your apple juice.

jan.w1, May 26, 4:26am
to stop fruit from discolouring squeeze lemon juice over fruit.

emmapear, May 26, 6:28am
I make a vanilla beanor lemongrass syrup to add to the fruit...makes it sweet and adds flavour.

siftasam, May 26, 6:32am
Angustora Bitters makes any fruit salad special.

jbsouthland, May 26, 6:59am
I always sprinkle raisins in mine.

pickles7, May 26, 7:17am
Persimmons, are a nice coloured fruit, soft, but crisp and juicy. I think fresh fruit salads can sometimes have too much hard fruit in it. A little mint is nice ,leaves set in ice ,made with fruit juice.

lindylambchops1, May 26, 7:39am
I like my fresh fruit salad with ginger ale!Gives it zing!!!

toadfish, May 26, 6:26pm
I am having a Pink Ribbon Breakfast and as part of it there will be fresh fruit salad to go with the Meusli & Yoghurt.

It dawns on me that I haven't made a fresh fruit salad for years.

I Plan to get a couple of cans of peaches in Natural Juice and then just go tothe fruit shop and get. Pears, apples, pineapple, grapes, bananas (will add at the end) mandarins, kiwifruits and just chop it all up and mix it around.

Sounds pretty good to me. Am I missing anything! Anyone got any ideas to make it super special!

barterman007, May 26, 6:30pm
Mmmm.Passionfruit pulp is a must Toadie.YUM YUM

campmum, May 26, 6:32pm
Oops.posted from hubbys account. You could also put in pomegranate or mango.yum

toadfish, May 26, 7:12pm
How many passionfruit do you think I would need!