I am making a cheesecake - help!

mkmakeover, May 24, 1:52am
For the filling how can I make it? I just brought cream cheese and cream home thinking I could find a recipe online but they all seem to have sour cream or condensed milk in them. Anyone have a recipe without these? I have eggs, sugar etc.

mkmakeover, May 24, 2:01am
Am starting to think I didn't get enough cream cheese, I only have 250g so needs to be a recipe with only this much, will make a small one :(

lindylambchops1, May 24, 2:05am
See over on the left of this page Message Board?Recipes......
in Keyword or member:Type Cheesecakes& in the Date posted type AnytimeHeaps of ideas will come up when you press search

245sam, May 24, 2:17am
mkmakeover, are you wanting to make a baked or an unbaked cheesecake? A baked one uses eggs + the baking process as the setting agent whilst an unbaked cheesecake uses gelatine as this one does (+ the eggs as well in this case but not always for unbaked cheesecakes), so do you have any gelatine and lemons?
Here's the recipe from my very first attempt - a very successful one! - at making a cheesecake.....

HEAVENLY CHEESECAKE - always popular whenever I make it so I hope you will enjoy it too.
Crumb Crust:
1 packet plain biscuits, crushed
170g butter, melted

Combine the biscuits and butter, then spread evenly into a 22·5cm (9”) springform tin and up the sides. Chill while preparing the Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
250g cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
3 eggs
¼ cup each of water, lemon juice and milk
pinch salt

Blend the gelatine with the water and lemon juice, then set it aside. Combine the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar, beaten egg yolks, milk and salt. Cook over simmering water for 10 minutes, then blend in the gelatine mixture. Cool the mixture.
Beat 3 egg whites, gradually adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar, until soft peaks form. Fold this into cheese mixture and pour the filling carefully into crumb crust. Refrigerate.
If desired, pile whipped cream on top and serve as a dessert or as a cake with coffee.
This is nicest at least 1 day old, and freezes well too. :-))

mkmakeover, May 24, 2:21am
thanks 245sam, I don't have gelatine but I might go down and buy some as I can't find one that suits! I don't mind if it's baked or not. Instead of the water, lemon juice and gelatine could I just replace it with a jelly, I have a lime flavour one but would it ruin the cheesecake as I am making a boysenberry topping for it?

245sam, May 24, 2:42am
mkmakeover, I have never made a cheesecake with a packet of jelly crystals so if you do decide to use the recipe I posted and replace the water, lemon juice and gelatine with the jelly please do let us know how it turns out.
I found amongst my huge collection this recipe that uses neither gelatine nor jelly crystals BUT it does use sweetened condensed milk AND it also has a boysenberry glaze.....

CHEESECAKE WITH BOYSENBERRY GLAZE
Base:
140g (5oz) malt biscuits, crushed
85g (3oz) butter, melted
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar

Add the cinnamon and brown sugar to the melted butter, then add the biscuit crumbs.Mix well and press the mixture into a 20cm (8”) pie plate.

Filling:
250g (8oz) cream cheese
1 x 395g (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

Whip the cream cheese until fluffy.Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla, and mix well.Pour into the crumb crust and chill for 2-3 hours.

Glaze:
1 x 454g (16oz) can boysenberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornflour

Drain boysenberries.Blend the boysenberry syrup, sugar and cornflour together and cook, stirring until thick and clear.Stir in the boysenberries.Allow to cool then spread over the cheesecake.
Serves 6-8.
psI have not used this recipe myself - it's from a NZ Woman's Weekly frommany years ago.

Hope that helps.:-))

mkmakeover, May 24, 2:49am
I am going to try it with jelly! Oh dear I have a funny feeling in my gut I am going to regret this. I will also take out the sugar otherwise will be to sweet. I will let you know how it goes!

wildflower, May 24, 4:08am
Generally uncooked cheesecakes use either cream cheese and sour cream or cream cheese and condensed milk.

deus701, May 24, 4:19am
if you have an egg, make a baked one. You're quite likely to waste your ingredients using the jelly crystals....but u may be able to pull it off. Who knows.

mkmakeover, May 24, 4:25am
I didn't use the jelly, was to scared. I just mixed cream cheese, cream, sugar, vanilla essence and egg and just guessed how much. I have baked it and looks good!

theanimal1, May 24, 4:43am
Chocolate cheesecake

Ingredients
150g (5 oz) digestive biscuits (or other plain biscuit eg superwine)
45g (1 1/2 oz) butter
110g (4 oz) caster sugar, divided
120ml whipping cream
150g (5 oz) dark chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons cocoa powder mixed with a little hot water
1 (200g) tub cream cheese

Preparation method

1. Crush the digestive biscuits and mix with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon of the caster sugar. Press into a 18cm (7 in) cake tin and refrigerate.

2. Whip cream until soft peak stage. Add cooled melted chocolate, then the cocoa powder mix. Blend well and set aside.

3. Beat the cream cheese and remaining sugar together. Fold in cream/chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly.

4. Spread into tin on top of crushed biscuits. Freeze for one hour.

5. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, then serve.

mkmakeover, May 25, 1:52am
For the filling how can I make it! I just brought cream cheese and cream home thinking I could find a recipe online but they all seem to have sour cream or condensed milk in them. Anyone have a recipe without these! I have eggs, sugar etc.

mkmakeover, May 25, 2:01am
Am starting to think I didn't get enough cream cheese, I only have 250g so needs to be a recipe with only this much, will make a small one :(

lindylambchops1, May 25, 2:05am
See over on the left of this page Message Board!Recipes.
in Keyword or member:Type Cheesecakes& in the Date posted type AnytimeHeaps of ideas will come up when you press search

245sam, May 25, 2:17am
mkmakeover, are you wanting to make a baked or an unbaked cheesecake! A baked one uses eggs + the baking process as the setting agent whilst an unbaked cheesecake uses gelatine as this one does (+ the eggs as well in this case but not always for unbaked cheesecakes), so do you have any gelatine and lemons!
Here's the recipe from my very first attempt - a very successful one! - at making a cheesecake.

HEAVENLY CHEESECAKE - always popular whenever I make it so I hope you will enjoy it too.
Crumb Crust:
1 packet plain biscuits, crushed
170g butter, melted

Combine the biscuits and butter, then spread evenly into a 22·5cm (9”) springform tin and up the sides. Chill while preparing the Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
250g cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
3 eggs
¼ cup each of water, lemon juice and milk
pinch salt

Blend the gelatine with the water and lemon juice, then set it aside. Combine the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar, beaten egg yolks, milk and salt. Cook over simmering water for 10 minutes, then blend in the gelatine mixture. Cool the mixture.
Beat 3 egg whites, gradually adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar, until soft peaks form. Fold this into cheese mixture and pour the filling carefully into crumb crust. Refrigerate.
If desired, pile whipped cream on top and serve as a dessert or as a cake with coffee.
This is nicest at least 1 day old, and freezes well too. :-))

mkmakeover, May 25, 2:21am
thanks 245sam, I don't have gelatine but I might go down and buy some as I can't find one that suits! I don't mind if it's baked or not. Instead of the water, lemon juice and gelatine could I just replace it with a jelly, I have a lime flavour one but would it ruin the cheesecake as I am making a boysenberry topping for it!

245sam, May 25, 2:42am
mkmakeover, I have never made a cheesecake with a packet of jelly crystals so if you do decide to use the recipe I posted and replace the water, lemon juice and gelatine with the jelly please do let us know how it turns out.
I found amongst my huge collection this recipe that uses neither gelatine nor jelly crystals BUT it does use sweetened condensed milk AND it also has a boysenberry glaze.

CHEESECAKE WITH BOYSENBERRY GLAZE
Base:
140g (5oz) malt biscuits, crushed
85g (3oz) butter, melted
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar

Add the cinnamon and brown sugar to the melted butter, then add the biscuit crumbs.Mix well and press the mixture into a 20cm (8”) pie plate.

Filling:
250g (8oz) cream cheese
1 x 395g (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

Whip the cream cheese until fluffy.Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla, and mix well.Pour into the crumb crust and chill for 2-3 hours.

Glaze:
1 x 454g (16oz) can boysenberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornflour

Drain boysenberries.Blend the boysenberry syrup, sugar and cornflour together and cook, stirring until thick and clear.Stir in the boysenberries.Allow to cool then spread over the cheesecake.
Serves 6-8.
psI have not used this recipe myself - it's from a NZ Woman's Weekly frommany years ago.

Hope that helps.:-))

deus701, May 25, 4:19am
if you have an egg, make a baked one. You're quite likely to waste your ingredients using the jelly crystals.but u may be able to pull it off. Who knows.

mkmakeover, May 25, 4:25am
I didn't use the jelly, was to scared. I just mixed cream cheese, cream, sugar, vanilla essence and egg and just guessed how much. I have baked it and looks good!