Help wanted re roasting a 2.6kg leg of pork

jmin, May 23, 12:28am
How long and at what temperature should I cook it?I haven't cooked pork for ages as I always seem to end up with a dried out roast pork.

beaker59, May 23, 12:33am
Personally I would give it 2 hrs at 180 in my fanbake oven. But the reason your roast is dry is probably more because its a leg roast shoulder roasts are so much better.

However have to admit I rarely roast pork in the oven as I prefer to roast it over charcoal in my Kettle BBQ. Far far better way to cook pork.

kuaka, May 23, 12:42am
I rarely roast anything in the oven, but use my big electric frying pan instead.Using that with the lid seems to stop the meat (any meat) drying out.

karenz, May 23, 12:55am
You could cover it with tinfoil, make a "tent" so some of the steam escapes or it will be a bit stewed tasting, you will have to forego the crackling for this unless you take it off and grill it separately or take the tinfoil off for a while towards the end of the cooking process.

4boofs, May 23, 2:22am
Agree with beaker, pork leg is very lean, so it will tend to dry out, especially if overcooked.You'd need to roast in a covered dish or use tinfoil.If you want crackling you can slice off some of the skin after cooking and place it under the grill, but watch it as it can turn from not ready to burnt fairly quickly.Pork is ok to eat a little pink, so it's better undercooked than overcooked.Any in the centre that looks a bit rare for your liking you can either put back in the oven or use in the next day or two in another dish - sweet and sour, curry, etc.

purplegoanna, May 23, 3:19am
x1
all of my pork roasts go in a bag with 1/4c water, a sprig of rosemary, a few cltohes of garlic and a doz peppercorns, i aslo score the skin and rub in oil/salt mix, leave a finger sized whole when you do up the bag, i put mine in at 3-3.30pm at 150-160 and then at about 6pm i take out of bag and turn oven upto 180', give me time to get the skin crackling and do my roast spuds etc..i take it out once the crackling is done and cover it in foil and let it rest while i then crank to oven upto 220' to finish my spuds..we usually eat between 7-8pm.

cgvl, May 23, 6:55am
x2
my rule of thumb is 30 mins to 500g and 30 mins over. Cook it at 150-180C and for last hour I usually turn oven to 200C to cook roast vegies and that helps to get nice crackling.For that size I'd allow 3 hours. I like my pork well cooked not pink like I see so often.

fee1965, May 23, 10:52am
My shoulder of pork goes into a large roast dish sitting on 2 onions cut into halves with skin on and 4 carrots unpeeled and a glass of white wine (or water).These act as the trivet to raise the pork. Cook for 25mins very hot, then reduce heat to low about 150 and cook for 3 hours.I remove the crackle at the end and grill it (salted too) until it spits!
Yummy, pork is fork tender and the gravy from the onions and veges etc is gorgeous!

jmin, May 24, 12:28am
How long and at what temperature should I cook it!I haven't cooked pork for ages as I always seem to end up with a dried out roast pork.

4boofs, May 24, 2:22am
Agree with beaker, pork leg is very lean, so it will tend to dry out, especially if overcooked.You'd need to roast in a covered dish or use tinfoil.If you want crackling you can slice off some of the skin after cooking and place it under the grill, but watch it as it can turn from not ready to burnt fairly quickly.Pork is ok to eat a little pink, so it's better undercooked than overcooked.Any in the centre that looks a bit rare for your liking you can either put back in the oven or use in the next day or two in another dish - sweet and sour, curry, etc.

purplegoanna, May 24, 3:19am
all of my pork roasts go in a bag with 1/4c water, a sprig of rosemary, a few cltohes of garlic and a doz peppercorns, i aslo score the skin and rub in oil/salt mix, leave a finger sized whole when you do up the bag, i put mine in at 3-3.30pm at 150-160 and then at about 6pm i take out of bag and turn oven upto 180', give me time to get the skin crackling and do my roast spuds etc.i take it out once the crackling is done and cover it in foil and let it rest while i then crank to oven upto 220' to finish my spuds.we usually eat between 7-8pm.

cgvl, May 24, 6:55am
my rule of thumb is 30 mins to 500g and 30 mins over. Cook it at 150-180C and for last hour I usually turn oven to 200C to cook roast vegies and that helps to get nice crackling.For that size I'd allow 3 hours. I like my pork well cooked not pink like I see so often.

jmin, May 25, 7:48am
Thank you fee1965. Had the best roast leg of pork tonight thanks to your advice.