Question on salami for Pickles7

gorsegully, May 22, 6:39am
Hi Pickles, I was just searching on here for salami making and read your stuff. Unfortunately pix have been removed.
Question - You cooked them for 3 hours at 150 degrees C. Did your butcher give you this or did you find it elsewhere.
I'm currently making some venison salami and found a site that said cook at 85 degrees with internal temp of around 70
PS how did they turn out and are you still making them

pickles7, May 23, 5:55am
No, I made up my own recipe , fermented them in the casings and cooked them in the oven. The texture was very nice, just like what you buy. I cooked them in the oven, slowly. I did take the inner temp, for safety sake, can't remember what it was now. I used pigs casings as I remember, if I was doing it again I would buy "fibrous casings".I found the pigs casings changed shape and there were a few holes. The local, Kitchen Ware shop, here has classes every now and then. They sell everything you require.
I learnt heaps from "you tube".
Post a pic of yours please.
I will see if I can find one of mine, for you.

Good luck with your Salami, enjoy.

pickles7, May 23, 6:03am

gorsegully, May 23, 7:32am
Lucky you that you have somewhere to learn and that also supply.
Butchers down here not keen to disclose info.
I used collagen casings bought off TM. Rather amusing trying to stuff them but turned out not too bad. Biggest mistake was adding port to mix - made the venison taste a little odd.
I dont know how to post pix on here or would give you one.
Judging by your posts you seem to be into self sufficiency in a big way. The best I do is kill and butcher my own sheep Thought it might be fun to try sheep salami

pickles7, May 23, 9:15am
Not really, retired from the food industry. Never had time to make salami, sausages in my working life. Not worth doing, when you buy the meat. But I get the satisfaction of making something. I would try Brandy next time if I have another go. and pork fat. Mutton fat is a little too solid, and I did not use as much as I would have if I used pork. You tube was the best place, watching it being made.