Does anyone make their porridge in the crockpot?

mumto3, May 19, 9:43am
I tried it last night and it was lovely and smooth but the kids said they didn't really like it as they prefer it made with milk.

Would it be OK made with milk in the crockpot?

juddy1, May 19, 9:49am
what about half n half?

wheelz, May 19, 9:51am
why the need for a crock pot to cook porridge? It only takes a few mintues in a pot !

mumto3, May 19, 10:00am
Because the kids can get up and help themselves without having to cook it

aktow, May 19, 5:22pm
yuck, i remember when i was younger,, all ways a cooked meal for breakfast ,,we used to have bacon and eggs, sausages and baked beansor smoked fish in white sauce, i love curried eggs,i cannot remember ever having rice bubbles or other cereals.. i would not eat them. just like i never have veg for dinner.

gardie, May 19, 6:35pm
Have done it but need to put a bowl of the porridge inside the crockpot so that it doesn't overcook.I found it quite yummy but because i just love getting up before anyone else in the house does, I just whack it in the microwave.I too, like it made with milk.

lilyfield, May 19, 8:48pm
its cooked in the microwave before the crockpot is heated. And any 5 year old can learn to do this in a flash, safely.

murdoc4, May 19, 10:35pm
Every winter, our children look forward to a big cowl of porridge!I have been cooking mine in a crockpot for the last 6yrs, I only use the wholegrain (oats that haven't been chopped up!) as the oats plump up and dont go as mushy as the chopped/processed variety.For our family of two adults and 4 children (1 doesn't eat it) I place 3cups of wholegrain oats into the processor with 6 Cups of cold water and 2 tsps salt just before going to bed around 10.30pm and in the morning after a good stir its ready and waiting!Yum with stewed fruit, honey, milk, cream, sultanas or of course...brown sugar!!!I wouldn't cook with milk unless it was half and half.I hate microwave cooking, not good as it has been proven to kill most of the goodness from our food.

olwen, May 20, 12:24am
I've never heard that.I thought faster cooking was better.I'm interested in reading more, can you provide a link?

norse_westie, May 20, 2:47am
I cook mine in the crockpot every day in winter. I use half milk and half water. I also use wholegrain oats so much healthier, but if cooked conventionally (ie microwave or pot) the kids wont touch it because its too chewy. The slow cooking in the crockpot makes it easy to eat.

norse_westie, May 20, 2:49am
Not if you are cooking it for 8 people. And someone needs to stand stirring it whereas in the crockpot it takes 2 minutes literally to throw together and as the kids are ready they can help themselves. See above also: whole grain oats are much healthier but mine wont eat it cooked conventionally.

I sometimes throw in some dried fruit and cinnamon to jazz it up, but actually the kids like it plain.

I also use a timer on my crockpot so it only cooks for 6 hours.

1damien, May 20, 7:23am
We cook the porridge in a crockpot for all our people in the resthome it does save someone standing there stiring.

mumto3, May 20, 9:43am
I tried it last night and it was lovely and smooth but the kids said they didn't really like it as they prefer it made with milk.

Would it be OK made with milk in the crockpot!

juddy1, May 20, 9:49am
what about half n half!

wheelz, May 20, 9:51am
why the need for a crock pot to cook porridge! It only takes a few mintues in a pot !

aktow, May 20, 5:22pm
yuck, i remember when i was younger,, all ways a cooked meal for breakfast ,,we used to have bacon and eggs, sausages and baked beansor smoked fish in white sauce, i love curried eggs,i cannot remember ever having rice bubbles or other cereals. i would not eat them. just like i never have veg for dinner.

gardie, May 20, 6:35pm
Have done it but need to put a bowl of the porridge inside the crockpot so that it doesn't overcook.I found it quite yummy but because i just love getting up before anyone else in the house does, I just whack it in the microwave.I too, like it made with milk.

murdoc4, May 20, 10:35pm
Every winter, our children look forward to a big bowl of porridge!I have been cooking mine in a crockpot for the last 6yrs, I only use the wholegrain (oats that haven't been chopped up!) as the oats plump up and dont go as mushy as the chopped/processed variety.For our family of two adults and 4 children (1 doesn't eat it) I place 3cups of wholegrain oats into the crockpot with 6 Cups of cold water and 2 tsps salt just before going to bed around 10.30pm and in the morning after a good stir its ready and waiting!Yum with stewed fruit, honey, milk, cream, sultanas or of course.brown sugar!I wouldn't cook with milk unless it was half and half.I hate microwave cooking, not good as it has been proven to kill most of the goodness from our food.

olwen, May 21, 12:24am
I've never heard that.I thought faster cooking was better.I'm interested in reading more, can you provide a link!