Vegetable lasange help please

hkm11, May 19, 1:26am
I was wanting to make an easy vege lasange (Im vegetarian so no meat) and just wanted to check this would taste ok and Im doing it right. Im not a great cook

Was going to steam some pumpkin and kumera for a layer, so do I just steam them and pour a tin of pasta sauce over them and then put them on top of pasta, add layer of pasta, layer of spinach, peas etc, pasta, pumpkin, kumera, pasta sauce mix, pasta, and so on?Was going to use cottage cheese instead of the cheese sauce too.

How else would you add the 'sauciness' to the veges?Or do I need to roast the pumpkin/kumera?Thanks!

cookessentials, May 19, 1:36am
A simle pasta sauce with onion,maybe a little garlic and crushed tomatoes and herbs would add a good sauce. You could use ricotta cheese as well to layer and perhaps spinach, eggplant etc.

valentino, May 19, 1:48am
A nice tomato sauce to add mainly for a vegetarian lasagna....

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 cans crushed tomato and
1 tablespoon tomato paste.
Heat oil in frypan, add onion and cook for 10 minutes until well softened.
Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add tomatoes and paste, stir until well combined and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until well thickened strring occasionally.
Then use as normal lasagna sauce, that is - equal portions for each layer.

For the top, a nice Bechamel sauce is nice.
60g butter
1/2 cup plain flour
2 cups milk
2 eggs lightly beaten and
1/3 cup Parmesan grated.
Heat butter in small pan, when starting to foam, add flour and stir 3 minutes.
Remove from heat, add milk gradually, stirring after each addition then return to heat and stir until thickens.
Remove from heat and stir in eggs.
Return to moderate heat and stir until almost boiling but not to boil.
Add cheese and season to taste.
Put a plastic wrap on surface to prevent skin forming prior to use.

One could add on top of this sauce a combined mixture of say 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon grated parmesan, 2 tsp paprika and as further option some nuts like about 3 tablespoons of pine nuts.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

karenz, May 19, 1:52am
If you thinly slice the pumpkin and kumera you shouldn't need to precook, I would also add some finely sliced onion and crushed garlic and thickly sliced fesh tomatoes and thickly sliced zuccini.I use a cottage cheese and spinach or silverbeet layer in my meat lasagna so it should work here.You may need to pour over a little milk or cream if you are using dry lasagna sheets. Grating some cheese over the last vege layer and baking until it was golden brown on top would up the taste factor.You could use thinly sliced potatoes as layers instead of the pasta sheets too.

zappi, May 19, 2:19am
If you look up the Sanitarium website they have loads of yummy recipes.Heaps of vegetarian.They have a really yummy curried lentil lasagne.Its now a family favourite.Really good site to have a look at.

tarshlove, May 19, 2:43am
Egg plant or silver beet / spinach is great in a veg lasange too

hkm11, May 20, 1:26am
I was wanting to make an easy vege lasange (Im vegetarian so no meat) and just wanted to check this would taste ok and Im doing it right. Im not a great cook

Was going to steam some pumpkin and kumera for a layer, so do I just steam them and pour a tin of pasta sauce over them and then put them on top of pasta, add layer of pasta, layer of spinach, peas etc, pasta, pumpkin, kumera, pasta sauce mix, pasta, and so on!Was going to use cottage cheese instead of the cheese sauce too.

How else would you add the 'sauciness' to the veges!Or do I need to roast the pumpkin/kumera!Thanks!

valentino, May 20, 1:48am
A nice tomato sauce to add mainly for a vegetarian lasagna.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 cans crushed tomato and
1 tablespoon tomato paste.
Heat oil in frypan, add onion and cook for 10 minutes until well softened.
Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add tomatoes and paste, stir until well combined and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until well thickened strring occasionally.
Then use as normal lasagna sauce, that is - equal portions for each layer.

For the top, a nice Bechamel sauce is nice.
60g butter
1/2 cup plain flour
2 cups milk
2 eggs lightly beaten and
1/3 cup Parmesan grated.
Heat butter in small pan, when starting to foam, add flour and stir 3 minutes.
Remove from heat, add milk gradually, stirring after each addition then return to heat and stir until thickens.
Remove from heat and stir in eggs.
Return to moderate heat and stir until almost boiling but not to boil.
Add cheese and season to taste.
Put a plastic wrap on surface to prevent skin forming prior to use.

One could add on top of this sauce a combined mixture of say 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon grated parmesan, 2 tsp paprika and as further option some nuts like about 3 tablespoons of pine nuts.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

karenz, May 20, 1:52am
If you thinly slice the pumpkin and kumera you shouldn't need to precook, I would also add some finely sliced onion and crushed garlic and thickly sliced fesh tomatoes and thickly sliced zuccini.I use a cottage cheese and spinach or silverbeet layer in my meat lasagna so it should work here.You may need to pour over a little milk or cream if you are using dry lasagna sheets. Grating some cheese over the last vege layer and baking until it was golden brown on top would up the taste factor.You could use thinly sliced potatoes as layers instead of the pasta sheets too.