Grrrrrrrrr day with jam and pickles...help please

anne1955, May 13, 5:33am
I had one of those days today !!!The sort that at 4pm I thought it had to be 5pm somewhere in the world :)Ok so jam didn't set even after reboil and jam set added...now what??And chutney didn't set GrrrrrrrNow why do the recipes say use 'flour' to thicken?Can't we use cornflour??I allaways have to put my flour and vinegar through the sieve to get lumps out never have the issue thinking other things?Am I thick or something?No Need to reply to that :)
And I don't have to many wonderful kitchen appliances like a mixy thing hand held blender?I never use to have any problem with either jams or chutneys fact my cooking is noramlly excellent...just a bad day?Weather conditions?Any ideas for remedies for tomorrow I am out of the kitchen today haha ANd I will add both recipes are from here and new ones for me :(

buzzy110, May 13, 5:46am
You are not thick. These problems are sent to try us.

I prefer flour if that is what the recipe calls for (though I don't know of too many chutney recipes that call for thickening) because I just prefer the finished texture. Cornflour has a gelatinous finish that solidifies the product and I just find it off putting. Whilst they shouldn't run, chutneys, piccalilli, relish, etc need a bit of give, imo.

anne1955, May 14, 5:33am
I had one of those days today !The sort that at 4pm I thought it had to be 5pm somewhere in the world :)Ok so jam didn't set even after reboil and jam set added.now what!And chutney didn't set GrrrrrrrNow why do the recipes say use 'flour' to thicken!Can't we use cornflour!I allaways have to put my flour and vinegar through the sieve to get lumps out never have the issue thinking other things!Am I thick or something!No Need to reply to that :)
And I don't have to many wonderful kitchen appliances like a mixy thing hand held blender!I never use to have any problem with either jams or chutneys fact my cooking is noramlly excellent.just a bad day!Weather conditions!Any ideas for remedies for tomorrow I am out of the kitchen today haha ANd I will add both recipes are from here and new ones for me :(

buzzy110, May 14, 5:46am
You are not thick. These problems are sent to try us.

I prefer flour if that is what the recipe calls for (though I don't know of too many chutney recipes that call for thickening) because I just prefer the finished texture. Cornflour has a gelatinous finish that solidifies the product and I just find it off putting. Whilst they shouldn't run, chutneys, piccalilli, relish, etc need a bit of give, imo.