Chicken soup

seniorbones, May 12, 8:16pm
I have searched and there are lots of recipes and I have bought some chicken carcasses (sp) to make some.. question is do you make a stock with onions carrots and herbs first then strain and make the soup or do I just throw every vege I have at the start and what are the nicest herbs I can use for flavour? I usually do vege with a ham hock but $9 for a ham hock compared with $2 for the chicken bones I thought I would do something different! TIA

obsidianwings, May 12, 9:11pm
Personally what I do is use two carcasses with the thigh meat still on (I use the breasts in other meals) I boil them in a large pot for at least a few hours with a couple of bayleaves the day before I want the soup. Then I strain, reserve the good meat, and let cool before scraping the fat off.
The next day the stock is usually like jelly so I add a little more water, the chicken meat, carrots, kumara, leek, potatos and celery ( I like to chop the potatos and kumara some small some big, so that some disintergrate and start to thicken the soup but you still have some nice big chunks), bring to the boil them simmer all day. I taste and season throughout the day with salt, pepper and chicken oxo, and then if needed thicken with cornflour at the end of the day.

I'm sure other people on here have a much better idea of what they are doing though, so I will be watching this thread for ideas.

seniorbones, May 12, 10:02pm
that sounds good but wont thicken as I like a clear soup but everything else is basically what I thought...2 carcasses simmering at the moment with herbs onion carrot and then will strain and add all the veges. Thanks

fifie, May 12, 10:43pm
Everyone has different ideas, sometimes i boil chicken carcases's with 2 bay leaves, few pepper corns, the peelings of carrot, onion, potato, few celery tops, little garlic, any veg peelings thats going and a sprig of thyme till cooked, cool and strain throw out peelings etc, take meat off carcasses and keep. When stock cools put in fridge overnight. Next day skim off fat put it into a large pot add choppedor grated vegs and soup mix if using, or just add vegs and a crushed chicken stock cube S/P and chicken meat pieces, simmer and check seasonings adjust if necessary. We like clear soup also so tend to go without the soup mix, for chickenthe veg peelings give the stock great flavour. Yesterday hubbie came home with a tray of 30 chicken leg bones for 99c i just boiled them up last night with bayleaves, peppercorns and thyme, and today will make my roast pumpkin and garlic soup for the freezer, bargain of the week i thought lol, enjoy your soup...

jessie981, May 12, 11:10pm
I throw all in together. As i like a bit of thickness, use uncooked rice too

kiwiscrapper1, May 13, 12:06am
Thanks fifie I did add thyme its my favourite herb and goes great with chicken, I added two, normal thyme and lemon thyme also parsley and bayleaves, its cooling down and then will strain and finish off tomorrow, I might add rice or noodles as jessie suggested, I meant I didnt like it thickened with a thickner such as cornflour etc.

jessie981, May 13, 12:30am
i use 1/2c rice depending on size of pot (medium)

malcovy, May 13, 12:39am
Rice is certainly an ingredient I like to use in chicken soup.If I use chicken carcasses then I make a normal chicken stock as I have found the carcass can fall apart but if I use chicken thighs then everything goes in together to make soup.
One or two cloves (spice) is a nice addition for a change.Also roasting the carcasses as well as carrot and onion in a hot oven for at least 15 mins gives the stock a richer flavour, fiddly but worth it.
I always use fresh bayleaves and fresh thyme.

seniorbones, May 13, 8:16pm
I have searched and there are lots of recipes and I have bought some chicken carcasses (sp) to make some. question is do you make a stock with onions carrots and herbs first then strain and make the soup or do I just throw every vege I have at the start and what are the nicest herbs I can use for flavour! I usually do vege with a ham hock but $9 for a ham hock compared with $2 for the chicken bones I thought I would do something different! TIA

obsidianwings, May 13, 9:11pm
Personally what I do is use two carcasses with the thigh meat still on (I use the breasts in other meals) I boil them in a large pot for at least a few hours with a couple of bayleaves the day before I want the soup. Then I strain, reserve the good meat, and let cool before scraping the fat off.
The next day the stock is usually like jelly so I add a little more water, the chicken meat, carrots, kumara, leek, potatos and celery ( I like to chop the potatos and kumara some small some big, so that some disintergrate and start to thicken the soup but you still have some nice big chunks), bring to the boil them simmer all day. I taste and season throughout the day with salt, pepper and chicken oxo, and then if needed thicken with cornflour at the end of the day.

I'm sure other people on here have a much better idea of what they are doing though, so I will be watching this thread for ideas.

seniorbones, May 13, 10:02pm
that sounds good but wont thicken as I like a clear soup but everything else is basically what I thought.2 carcasses simmering at the moment with herbs onion carrot and then will strain and add all the veges. Thanks

fifie, May 13, 10:43pm
Everyone has different ideas, sometimes i boil chicken carcases's with 2 bay leaves, few pepper corns, the peelings of carrot, onion, potato, few celery tops, little garlic, any veg peelings thats going and a sprig of thyme till cooked, cool and strain throw out peelings etc, take meat off carcasses and keep. When stock cools put in fridge overnight. Next day skim off fat put it into a large pot add choppedor grated vegs and soup mix if using, or just add vegs and a crushed chicken stock cube S/P and chicken meat pieces, simmer and check seasonings adjust if necessary. We like clear soup also so tend to go without the soup mix, for chickenthe veg peelings give the stock great flavour. Yesterday hubbie came home with a tray of 30 chicken leg bones for 99c i just boiled them up last night with bayleaves, peppercorns and thyme, and today will make my roast pumpkin and garlic soup for the freezer, bargain of the week i thought lol, enjoy your soup.