PIE EXPERTS, CAN YOU ADVICE

mallee, May 11, 11:38pm
please. I'm going to make a curried mince pie for dinner. I don't have pie weights, but I do have rice. How much do I put over the pastry, and for how long? Any other tips would be gratefully recieved. Many thanks in advance.

cookessentials, May 11, 11:50pm
Use enough to cover the base well. Put a piece of baking paper over the shell first, then add the rice or dried beans. Depending on what your recipe tells you, but rule of thumb is until pastry is pale golden...too dark and it may darken too much once you cook it with the filling. Last one i did was for 15 minutes.

jenjen76, May 12, 9:42am
You could use rice, or small pasta, like Macaroni. I tend to take the weights off for the last 5 minutes or so which helps to cook off the base of the pie case so that it shouldn't be soggy when the pie is cooked with the filling. If you find the pastry case shrinking when you cook it, place the uncooked case in the fridge or freezer for 20-30 mins before you cook it.

mallee, May 12, 11:38pm
please. I'm going to make a curried mince pie for dinner. I don't have pie weights, but I do have rice. How much do I put over the pastry, and for how long! Any other tips would be gratefully recieved. Many thanks in advance.

cookessentials, May 12, 11:50pm
Use enough to cover the base well. Put a piece of baking paper over the shell first, then add the rice or dried beans. Depending on what your recipe tells you, but rule of thumb is until pastry is pale golden.too dark and it may darken too much once you cook it with the filling. Last one i did was for 15 minutes.

jenjen76, May 13, 9:42am
You could use rice, or small pasta, like Macaroni. I tend to take the weights off for the last 5 minutes or so which helps to cook off the base of the pie case so that it shouldn't be soggy when the pie is cooked with the filling. If you find the pastry case shrinking when you cook it, place the uncooked case in the fridge or freezer for 20-30 mins before you cook it.