Gift idea for someone who loves cooking & baking?

Page 1 / 2
linster, May 10, 10:16am
something that would come in handy, but not general enough that she might already have?

Thanks in advance!

chicco2, May 10, 10:34am
Some years ago my sister gave me a beautiful white chiffon throw with silver snowflakes on it. Its trimmed with satin edges. I love it and use it to cover special afternoon tea treats and often for cakes. I treasure it dearly and will do forever.

rosathemad, May 10, 10:34am
I always love getting interesting luxury ingredients - depends what she likes making most, but fancy olive oil or balsamic vinegar, upmarket cocoa or chocolate for baking, or interesting types of sugar or flavoured syrups could all be great gifts. If she's into the pretty baking stuff interesting cupcake papers and/or decorations might be a winner. :-)

olwen, May 10, 10:37am
A mini loaf tin like a muffin tin if you can be sure she hasn't got one,

duckmoon, May 10, 10:39am
have you seen her use a tierred cake stand??? what about one of those.

alegnak, May 10, 10:44am
My daughter (aged 14) bought me a mandolin a couple of years ago - not used daily but very handy for so many things.I love it! I think it was about $30 from Millies in Ponsonby

linster, May 10, 10:52am
Thanks, great ideas everyone!!! :-)

florence14, May 10, 10:08pm
A gift voucher from The Homestore or Stevens. Then she can choose herself.

cookessentials, May 10, 10:15pm
Homestore above Stevens who have cheap knock offs that dont go the distance. There are a heap of things
Microplane classic zester/grater ( THE best thing invented)
A cooking class where you get to eat a three course meal afterwards
Linen napkins
throws
linen tea towel along with a nice tin of tea ( if she drinks it)
The food throw is always well received, especially the beautifully embroidred ones.

nzl99, May 10, 10:31pm
I'd like things that are slightly luxury items... like a good gem pan, or mini flan tins, some gorgeous muffin cases, a little copper pot for melting butter in...

ericat, May 10, 10:48pm
I bought my friend a gorgeous recipe book holder.I loved it so much I bought one for myself as well.

2halls, May 10, 10:51pm
A proper icing bag,couple of nozzles and some decorations for cupcakes :-)

sarahj1, May 11, 12:58am
Really good quality ingredients: Dutched cocoa, "real" vanilla extract, flavoured syrups etc

deus701, May 11, 3:37am
a silpat, a decent whisk, silicone moulds, a temperature probe, a chef torch, silicone rolling pin, a copper bowl

im boring.

kinna54, May 11, 3:47am
A voucher for Stevens or a good kitchen store, Whitcoull's sale has some awesome cookbooks at the mo. I like the gift basket idea, would include a really strong oven glove (Farmers had some beauties; (treated myself; ) and also had lovely decorative cake display tins etc.cool timers and scales etc.

cookessentials, May 11, 3:48am
no, you like good cookware. Have you seen the silikomart moulds?

angie461, May 11, 3:58am
I love cooking and baking and love special quality ingredients like cocoa, vanilla essence or paste,,.

deus701, May 11, 4:14am
Yup, they're good. I bought quite a few moulds from here:

http://tinyurl.com/bakingshop

They have silikomats arount $20-$35...way cheaper than others. And generic ones for $15. They don't have much listed online, but they have a physical store in North Shore. Im quite happy as I bought Matfer Bourgeat 400mm Exoglass Whisk for $38 while Southern Hospitality sells them for $67.85. Also picked up a matfer silpat for $40.. 40cm by 30cm. Im gona get the stainless steel baguette knife (with replacement blades) they are selling for $12 if I go back them again.

Then again, not all things are cheap. Their palette knives are way too expensive.

muppet65, May 11, 4:20am
A nice basket of baking goodies or similar would be nice

scannell2, May 11, 4:21am
where do you get nice throw things to put over food, i never seem to see them anywhere although are probably looking in the wrong place!

kinna54, May 11, 5:12am
I have a lovely one which I got from a craft market. Have seen some nice ones occassionally at Streets Ahead in Palmy.

buzzy110, May 11, 6:46am
Why not consider a fabulous recipe book? Check out on-line book sellers. I always use The Book Depository.

linster, May 11, 10:16am
something that would come in handy, but not general enough that she might already have!

Thanks in advance!

rosathemad, May 11, 10:34am
I always love getting interesting luxury ingredients - depends what she likes making most, but fancy olive oil or balsamic vinegar, upmarket cocoa or chocolate for baking, or interesting types of sugar or flavoured syrups could all be great gifts. If she's into the pretty baking stuff interesting cupcake papers and/or decorations might be a winner. :-)

olwen, May 11, 10:37am
A mini loaf tin like a muffin tin if you can be sure she hasn't got one,