Roasting Fowl in Crockpot

carobobo, Apr 28, 5:40am
Just been given a Roasting Fowl, 1.190kg.
I am going to cook it in the crockpot - no idea how to do so, any advice greatly appreciated.

bbq-bro, Apr 28, 5:46am
these are $4 a bird chinese grocery stores .....only thing gotta pluck it,then boil it for ages till tender.........then roast or curry etc etc...worth it though..thats 5 birds for $20......good feed

amazing_grace, Apr 28, 5:51am
Hmm...if you have a Roasting Fowl and you put it in a crockpot, you dont have a Roast at the end of it, you have a STEAMED fowl.It will fall off the bone, and be moist, but there is no way you could call it ROAST

rainrain1, Apr 28, 6:22am
yea you can.......1 Tblsp water and you have a slow roast

macandrosie, Apr 28, 6:43am
well a fowl is a fowl & a chicken is a chicken! That says it all!!! It's about the age of the bird isn't it?! I would cook a chicken for about 8 hours on low. Don't know how moist & tender a fowl would turn out really!

uli, Apr 28, 8:23am
A "roasting fowl" is an old laying hen - so treat it accordingly.

Put into crock pot, cover with water and if you have add some lovage or celery, carrot and leek and cook for about 10 hours on low - then let cool in the broth over night. Do not remove from broth - or it will be tough and stringy!

The next morning, get it out and take the meat off the bones, cut very fine across the grain and sieve the broth over it. Boil it all up again and then cool in the fridge until ready to use in a lovely soup.

dalkemade, Apr 28, 9:30am
I cook an average size defrosted table hen for 4&1/2 hrs on high. Cooks beautifully. Just put it in the crockpot, no water or additive.

lythande1, Apr 28, 8:04pm
I cut them into quarters, remove the skin, add herbs, veges etc, a bit of liquid, I don't put heaps in at all. And it comes out moist. Don't really need to boil them.

bbq-bro, Apr 28, 8:04pm
yea takes ages ayy...but well worth the wotk and wait...lol..