Last year's jam...

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 28, 2:44am
Okay, so it is possible I went a little overboard on the jam'n jelly making last year, or maybe I've just been too mean with it, but I have way too many jars left of plum, quince and strawberry and too few people to feed these days. I could give it away - but it is last year's and it seems a bit of a crock to do that. So I'm thinking if I was to do a bit of experimenting and maybe try reboiling and reducing it down into pastes or fruit leathers... what do you more experienced home preservers think? If I try eating all this stuff, I'll be a sitter for type two diabetes, lol...

duckmoon, Apr 28, 2:47am
I know that our school fair has a great deli stall - we sell homemade jams... You could donate them to a charity/school/something...

Or you gift them... when some one does something nice for me, I give them a jar of jam... they cost me about $4 to produce - what else could I give that cost $4

cgvl, Apr 28, 3:23am
I'm using jam that I made 3 years ago and its fine ..... matures with age.
I now boil up the fruit and freeze it and write what it is and how much sugar I need to add for when I run out.

elliehen, Apr 28, 3:33am
Your local school (or schools) will possibly have winter breakfast programmes and are grateful for jams and spreads for the toast.They will not object to last year's jams and jellies.

bearskin, Apr 29, 12:22am
A few years back - Ok it was 2000 - we were clearing out my Gran's old house and found a box of raspberry jam that had presumably been forgotten about - dated 1970. It was glorious. 30-year old jam....mmmmm.