ANZAC biscuits - no golden syrup

raewyn64, Apr 24, 2:50am
Can I use anything else or do I wait until tomorrow when the supermarket is open?
Thanks so much

elliehen, Apr 24, 2:54am
Won't be Anzac biscuits without the golden syrup.Why not make some biscuits and call them Easter Monday cookies?(Golden syrup costs over $5.00 a tin nowadays too.)

pickles7, Apr 24, 2:59am
you could melt some brown sugar with a little butter,
but really if I was to mention quantities,I should have done it myself, I haven't.
sorry that dose not help you more right now.
I would probably make something else, myself.

raewyn64, Apr 24, 3:01am
thanks team - I have used it as an excuse to stop for the day - have made the vege soup forwinter lunches and made an apple slice (off TMMB) so I think I shall leave the biscuits for now - got dinner to think about in an hour or so anyway.
there is still tomorrow for more creating :)

winnie15, Apr 24, 3:03am
brown sugar and water would make up g.syrup

pickles7, Apr 24, 3:18am
I have the smell of a nice fresh loaf of bread cooking, here.
In fact I went looking at "monkey bread" recipe's on you tube, I am going to use my bread maker to make up a dough and go from there.
I could be sorry lol.

jenner4, Apr 24, 3:53am
Restaurant in Picton selling ANZAC biscuits with out golden syrup, using honeyand calling them ANZAC biscuits but many years ago I remember being told that unless you use the proper recipe you can not call them Anzac biscuits , but some people do not care abouta NZ tradition and think NZ is very silly to have a tradition with a biscuit [ as was told by this restaurant ]

raewyn64, Apr 24, 4:12am
Ok well I went to the pantry and found some treacle. So I used that instead.
They have come out very dark in colour and stronger flavour and also very flat and spread a lot.
But hubby is happily munching away on them and so they will do for today.
A bit of a funny day on the cooking front today
made soup for winter days but one lot stuck to the bottom of the pot and caught(the lentils etc) so I grabbed it off the ring really fast but it has a bit of a smoky flavour to it.
The apple slice I made has crumbled when I cut it and pick it up, but will make a fine desert
and now the biscuits are not quite as good as they should have been

So i think it is time to do the dishes and stop cooking for today with the exception of dinner which going by today's current form I not too sure about lol

raewyn64, Apr 25, 2:50am
Can I use anything else or do I wait until tomorrow when the supermarket is open!
Thanks so much

elliehen, Apr 25, 2:54am
Won't be Anzac biscuits without the golden syrup.Why not make some biscuits and call them Easter Monday cookies!(Golden syrup costs over $5.00 a tin nowadays too.)

pickles7, Apr 25, 2:59am
you could melt some brown sugar with a little butter,
but really if I was to mention quantities,I should have done it myself, I haven't.
sorry that dose not help you more right now.
I would probably make something else, myself.

pickles7, Apr 25, 3:18am
I have the smell of a nice fresh loaf of bread cooking, here.
In fact I went looking at "monkey bread" recipe's on you tube, I am going to use my bread maker to make up a dough and go from there.
I could be sorry lol.

raewyn64, Apr 25, 4:12am
Ok well I went to the pantry and found some treacle. So I used that instead.
They have come out very dark in colour and stronger flavour and also very flat and spread a lot.
But hubby is happily munching away on them and so they will do for today.
A bit of a funny day on the cooking front today
made soup for winter days but one lot stuck to the bottom of the pot and caught(the lentils etc) so I grabbed it off the ring really fast but it has a bit of a smoky flavour to it.
The apple slice I made has crumbled when I cut it and pick it up, but will make a fine desert
and now the biscuits are not quite as good as they should have been

So i think it is time to do the dishes and stop cooking for today with the exception of dinner which going by today's current form I not too sure about lol