Help please! how to sterilise jars

jen211, Apr 23, 1:22am
I am making chutney for the first time. Just wanting to know how to go about sterlising jars to put the chutney in. Also do both the chutney and the jars need to be hot/warm? When do I put the lids on the jar.........Thanks

ceila, Apr 23, 1:28am
Put them in the oven on 120C for 30 minutes lids too.

elliehen, Apr 23, 1:31am
Hot dry jars straight from the dishwater are fine, or 20 minutes in a 100*C oven.And yes, put the hot chutney into hot jars and put recycled pop-top lids on not TOO tightly and then tighten them when the jars cool.If you tighten them at first, they are likely to be very hard to take off later.

You can also use cellophane seals - Waugh's 'Jam jar and preserve covers' in a red and green packet from the supermarket which come complete with rubber bands.You dip the cellphone circles in water, shake and then stretch across the hot jar.As the jar cools, the air is sucked out at the top of the jar and you get a good concave seal.

camper18, Apr 23, 1:33am
Put clean jars on a tray in the oven @ 120 deg. Turn down to keep warm after 15mins. Bottle chutney while hot. If using metal lids put them in the oven also, and screw them on as soon as you fill the jars and they will "pop" seal as they cool.

jen211, Apr 23, 1:43am
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help.

duckmoon, Apr 23, 2:25am
I wash them in soapy water... and then put on an oven tray in a low oven...

jen211, Apr 24, 1:22am
I am making chutney for the first time. Just wanting to know how to go about sterlising jars to put the chutney in. Also do both the chutney and the jars need to be hot/warm! When do I put the lids on the jar.Thanks

elliehen, Apr 24, 1:31am
Hot dry jars straight from the dishwater are fine, or 20 minutes in a 100*C oven.And yes, put the hot chutney into hot jars and put recycled pop-top lids on not TOO tightly and then tighten them when the jars cool.If you tighten them at first, they are likely to be very hard to take off later.

You can also use cellophane seals - Waugh's 'Jam jar and preserve covers' in a red and green packet from the supermarket which come complete with rubber bands.You dip the cellphone circles in water, shake and then stretch across the hot jar.As the jar cools, the air is sucked out at the top of the jar and you get a good concave seal.

Edited to add:Just read ceila's post.I pour boiling water over the lids in a bowl and then shake off the water before putting on the jars.

duckmoon, Apr 24, 2:25am
I wash them in soapy water. and then put on an oven tray in a low oven.

poppy500, Apr 24, 9:00pm
OPut clean, dry jars in the oven for 15 min at 110 c; lids in boiling water for a couple of minutes (on the stove top). I don't put the lids in the oven as the rubber seal perishes and imparts a smell. The seal inside the lids breaksdown more in the oven I think.

jag5, Apr 25, 12:56am
For the jars....I just put a little water in them and pop them in the microwave till boiling......tip out water and fill with chutney or whatever you are making......lids in a bowl...pour over boiling water.

Never had a failure yet

poppy500, Apr 25, 9:00pm
OPut clean, dry jars in the oven for 15 min at 110 c; lids in boiling water for a couple of minutes (on the stove top). I don't put the lids in the oven as the rubber seal perishes and imparts a smell. The seal inside the lids breaksdown more in the oven I think.

jag5, Apr 26, 12:56am
For the jars.I just put a little water in them and pop them in the microwave till boiling.tip out water and fill with chutney or whatever you are making.lids in a bowl.pour over boiling water.

Never had a failure yet