Stewed Apple help please :)

holly-rocks, Apr 23, 1:00am
Hi all. I have a big old apple tree with heaps of cooking apples. I am wanting to pick them and stew for freezing ( to make apple pie / crumble over winter)Is it as simple as dicing them up and cooking in alittle water until soft? How much water do I need? Is it best to dice or slice? I don't really want a mushy texture, kinda firm still but chunky. I don't really want to add any sugar but the apples are tart. ( might experiment with some spices ) I also have a massive quince tree and I normally make quince jelly to give away but this year I am feeling lazy so might just stew them. I have looked online but there are so many different ways to stew, I'm just looking for a simple method, which i cant seam to fine. Hope my woffle makes sense. Thank you :]

creeky1, Apr 23, 1:13am
I peel, core and slice apples add enough water to the pot to just cover the bottom and simmer, usually like it to be a little chunky but if i want sauce just wiz with the stick blender. never add sugar, but if you do add after they are cooked or it can stick. I normally freeze in ice cream containers.Don't now about quinces though.

holly-rocks, Apr 23, 2:09am
Thanks guys! You are awesome : )

holly-rocks, Apr 24, 1:00am
Hi all. I have a big old apple tree with heaps of cooking apples. I am wanting to pick them and stew for freezing ( to make apple pie / crumble over winter)Is it as simple as dicing them up and cooking in alittle water until soft! How much water do I need! Is it best to dice or slice! I don't really want a mushy texture, kinda firm still but chunky. I don't really want to add any sugar but the apples are tart. ( might experiment with some spices ) I also have a massive quince tree and I normally make quince jelly to give away but this year I am feeling lazy so might just stew them. I have looked online but there are so many different ways to stew, I'm just looking for a simple method, which i cant seam to fine. Hope my woffle makes sense. Thank you :]

creeky1, Apr 24, 1:13am
I peel, core and slice apples add enough water to the pot to just cover the bottom and simmer, usually like it to be a little chunky but if i want sauce just wiz with the stick blender. never add sugar, but if you do add after they are cooked or it can stick. I normally freeze in ice cream containers.Don't now about quinces though.