Quince jelly question...

korbo, Apr 22, 5:10am
boiled up my quinces this morning, and after putting in the muslin cloth, notice the liquid is very cloudy and pale. I havent made jelly for a few years, is this normal and will it go pink later. It is now hanging up in the shed.
Oh I added a chopped up lemon, was that right to do so, and 6 apples.

elliehen, Apr 22, 6:02am
It turns ruby red when you boil it up with the sugar.

margyr, Apr 22, 6:57am
and you need to boil it for ages.

floydandu2, Apr 24, 10:19am
If you've boiled up your quinces before the straining, then it should be pink.Unless you've drowned it in apples?I only do straight quince jelly (no apples) so am unsure if that would dilute the colour.
As long as you don't boil the fruit in heaps of water, just the min req'd, the jelly doesn't take that long to boil up.If you've used lots of liquid, then yes, it'll take a while.

korbo, Apr 25, 8:02am
3 kg of quinces and apples,(total) 14 cups of water. that is what i used, and the jelly is now set and tastes devine.
Wasnt sure which would be the best apples. used Ballerat in the first lot, and today have used G.Smith. todays quinces didnt go pink.but that doesnt matter I just put a few drops of red food colouring in. Deep crimson colour now....

joker13, Apr 25, 7:49pm
I did 2 kgs of quinces covered with water and simmered for 30 mins, drained then back on the heat with equal sugar simmering and spluttering for 1.5 hours and then when you scrape a wooden spoon across the pan it will leave a trail. Then i poured into greased shallow dishes and dehydrated abit in a 90 degree oven for the afternoon. This helps take the too sticky side of it and means you can cut into cubes when serving with blue cheese. YUM

korbo, Apr 26, 8:41am
made another lot today, as per mondays post.
Put so much in the jars, then added 1/2 cup port and bought back to boil. put in jars. it has set perfect and tastes rather yummy.If I had some small containers, i would have put some in there. mental note for next year.
Colour for 1st lovely and pink and see thru. jars with port, deep crimson....