What to do with green tomatoes

christopher53, Apr 21, 9:25pm
The recent cold weather has finished off the tommy plants but they still have a lot of green tomatoes on them, it seems a shame to throw them in the compost. Any ideas please.

dec1066, Apr 21, 9:34pm
I have picked green tomatoes before and left them on a sunny windowsil and they ripend

uli, Apr 21, 9:45pm
Doesn't need to be a sunny windowsill - just in the house is fine - if kept in too warm they will shrivel a bit before they redden up.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 10:01pm
Make green tomato pickle.
You Will Need:

2 kg green tomatoes

5 – 6 onions

½ c table salt

1 dsp golden syrup

3 c sugar

1 large tin pineapple pieces (size according to your preference)

¾ c flour

1 tbsp curry powder

1 tbsp turmeric

1 tbsp mustard

Vinegar

Method:

Finely chop onions.

Cut up your green tomatoes, add chopped onions, and sprinkle both with salt.

Let tomato and onion mix stand for two hours, stirring a few times.

Pour off liquid and cover with vinegar.

Boil until tender.

Drain pineapple pieces and retain the juice.

Add pineapple, golden syrup, and sugar to tomatoes and boil another 10 mins.

Thicken with flour and spices mixed together with pineapple juice. Simmer until pickle thickens.
Courtesy fresh in the kitchen.

korbo, Apr 22, 5:16am
mmmm, made 3 batches of this, some without the pineapple. it so far, has been the most popular in our house.

uli, Apr 22, 9:45pm
Doesn't need to be a sunny windowsill - just in the house is fine - if kept in too warm they will shrivel a bit before they redden up.

christopher53, Apr 22, 10:54pm
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I will keep a few on the window sill to ripen and have a go at the pickle. I have never made pickle, chutney etc. so it will be interesting!!

pickles7, Apr 23, 12:30am
easy as to make....christopher53.... I made my recipe just the other day, the crushed pineapple dose get the coverage through the pickle well, tasty. You could cut the pieces down, but make sure they are not too hard.

creeky1, Apr 23, 1:16am
google green tomato jam, there are a few recipes around.

christopher53, Apr 23, 10:54pm
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I will keep a few on the window sill to ripen and have a go at the pickle. I have never made pickle, chutney etc. so it will be interesting!

pickles7, Apr 24, 12:30am
easy as to make.christopher53. I made my recipe just the other day, the crushed pineapple dose get the coverage through the pickle well, tasty. You could cut the pieces down, but make sure they are not too hard.