Really really salty bacon

gerry64, Apr 20, 10:29pm
Is there anything I can do to remove some of the salt from a kg packet of bacon - certainly wasnt a cheap brand but it is soooo salty - was going to throw it in the bin but thought somebody on this MB maybe have an idea

dezzie, Apr 20, 10:38pm
soak it in warm water before you cook it, about 10 minutes, then dry on handee towels before cooking, you don't need to soak it all at once, just do it as you use it.

nzl99, Apr 20, 10:41pm
Good idea dezzie.If it's too much salt in one hit for you... maybe dice it up, fry it off and freeze the bits... could be useful addition to stocks, soups, ontop of salads etc...?

gerry64, Apr 20, 10:42pm
thanks dezzie - it just seems such a waste to throw it out - hardly ever buy it so deliberately didnt choose a cheap budget packet - maybe I should have bought the cheaper one

pussy01, Apr 20, 11:44pm
what brand? so we all know not to buy it unless we want very salty bacon

gerry64, Apr 20, 11:49pm
I am in Oz and it was from a deli over here - unfortunately I had opened it and put it into a container and the packet had gone out in the rubbish as it was produced by a boutique manufacturer - would have complained to them

tixy, Apr 21, 8:26am
Soak it in milk - I dry cure my own bacon and sometimes it is too salty so I always soak it in milk.Shake or pat the moisture off and you're good to go!

Edited to say we grow our own piggies - I wouldnt suggest curing your own bacon considering the price of really good pork these days!

gerry64, Apr 21, 12:07pm
thanks for that tixy

dezzie, Apr 21, 10:38pm
soak it in warm water before you cook it, about 10 minutes, then dry on handee towels before cooking, you don't need to soak it all at once, just do it as you use it.

nzl99, Apr 21, 10:41pm
Good idea dezzie.If it's too much salt in one hit for you. maybe dice it up, fry it off and freeze the bits. could be useful addition to stocks, soups, ontop of salads etc.!

pussy01, Apr 21, 11:44pm
what brand! so we all know not to buy it unless we want very salty bacon

tixy, Apr 22, 8:26am
Soak it in milk - I dry cure my own bacon and sometimes it is too salty so I always soak it in milk.Shake or pat the moisture off and you're good to go!

Edited to say we grow our own piggies - I wouldnt suggest curing your own bacon considering the price of really good pork these days!