Hi - My husband all of a sudden has decided that h

Page 3 / 3
dantes_auntie, Apr 21, 6:06am
it's good to have some salt. i think just that in bread would be fine

duckmoon, Apr 21, 8:30am
1t in a loaf of bread.
most loaves get sliced into 20 slices (depending on what size the loaf is, and how thick the slices).

so, hubby is worried about 1/20th of teaspoon of salt.

unless it is on medical grounds - I would be suggesting that my hubby gets a life - or gets cooking himself

kuaka, Apr 21, 9:55am
Just re-reading the original post, I'm left wondering if hubby actually realises that bread has salt in it, or whether it's elsielaurie who is concerned about how successful the bread she makes will be if she doesn't put the salt in it.I doubt my hubby would know whether there was salt in it or not, and I'm further guessing that he wouldn't be able to taste the difference.Course, I could be wrong - it has happened occasionally!

nauru, Apr 21, 12:02pm
Hi Bedazzledjewels, someone else beat me to it.Did you get some?

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 6:58pm
Nauru - where do you get your Himalayan rock salt from please! TIA.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 7:35pm
Nauru - I didn't at this stage. I just read a column in the new Listener saying that there's very little iodine in any of the sea/mountain salts, so it's the iodine that I want to make sure I still get. The article was interesting - apparently the salt in processed foods mostly doesn't contain iodine, which is why the Government is legislating for iodised salt to go into bread. Not much help as I don't eat bread!
I'm going to Adelaide soon though, and I'll get some Murray River pink salt to try.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 10:49pm
Elsielaurie, high starch foods such as potatoes and grains require salt or they completely lack any flavour at all. Since time began, salt was the most important item in the human diet and those tribal groups who had access to salt were "rich". No farmer, worth his "salt" would consider trying to raise his stock without providing them with salt. In some places in NZ farmers have to provide their stock with salt licks or their animals weaken and die.

When I was in Canada our friend took us to a spot where mountain sheep (looked exactly like goats to me) congregated. That area was dangerous and exposed them to hunters but the thing that drew them there in herds was the salt that leached out onto the rocks. They'd stand on the side of these cliffs and lick the salt in spite of all the dangers they faced being there.

Do tell your husband that if he doesn't get enough salt he will end up with many problems - many, many problems.

Edited to add - I presume you know the Shakespeare story of King Leer! Makes interesting reading.

kuaka, Apr 21, 11:09pm
buzzy - that is all true, but I don't put any salt in my spuds when I'm cooking them, or if I mash them, nor when I eat them, and they taste just fine to me.I also don't seem to have any health problems - I still prefer to think I get enough salt from other things that I eat rather than adding it to foods which I feel don't need it.I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice and taste.

pickles7, Apr 22, 12:07am
I cannot get my head around people saying when salt is used, that "salt" is all you can taste.I would say to that way too much salt is being used, by whom-ever is cooking. We need salt, be it sea salt, iodised salt or "Himalayan Rock Salt". Iodised, should be your preference, in moderation.

davidt4, Apr 22, 12:34am
Dazz, be aware that the Himalayan salt has a faint sulphurous taste and smell, which is okay with strong tasting food but can taint something delicate like scrambled eggs, salad greens or asparagus.I've gone back to using Marlborough iodised flaky salt as it has a very pure flavour.

ashanti, Apr 22, 12:48am
I never add salt to my breadmaker, and bread is just fine, though I do add linseed sunflowerseeds and rolled oats.

kuaka, Apr 22, 2:08am
I don't think I've said that when I add salt to things like potatoes, that that is all I can taste, I said I don't think it enhances the flavour and I feel they don't need salt.I've been cooking them like this for 40 years or more and my first husband never complained and neither does my second one.

lakestar, Apr 22, 2:10am
ye do know that we only need a few grams of salt a day right! and that many people just eating out and about and processed foods get a few tablespoons a day!!

If you do not deaden your tastebuds with over flavouring the beautiful tastes in the many varieties of potatoes are quite distinct.

nauru, Apr 22, 12:02pm
Hi Bedazzledjewels, someone else beat me to it.Did you get some!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 7:35pm
Nauru - I didn't at this stage. I just read a column in the new Listener saying that there's very little iodine in any of the sea/mountain salts, so it's the iodine that I want to make sure I still get. The article was interesting - apparently the salt in processed foods mostly doesn't contain iodine, which is why the Government is legislating for iodised salt to go into bread. Not much help as I don't eat bread!
I'm going to Adelaide soon though, and I'll get some Murray River pink salt to try.