Hi - My husband all of a sudden has decided that h

Page 2 / 3
bedazzledjewels, Apr 20, 6:58pm
Nauru - where do you get your Himalayan rock salt from please? TIA.

lindar, Apr 20, 7:55pm
Can you change his mind by saying the good minerals in the salt (if you buy the unmessed with ones) outweigh the benefits of not having sodium!

nzl99, Apr 20, 7:59pm
Yeah, it's really rather horrible without it. may I be as bold to suggest that one teaspoon in an entire loaf isn't over the top.!

camper18, Apr 20, 8:56pm
Tell him he will develop thyroid problems if he doesn't have a little iodised salt each day. And bread without salt is worse than porrige without salt believe me.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 20, 9:04pm
Why!

Does he not realize that it is an element that is essential to life!

If hes wanting to reduce sodium in general then just stop eating anything that is packaged or ready made.But if you do that and start to eat only whole foods (that are good for you) then you will still need to add salt to taste to make sure you get that essential element.

We are made up of SALINE after all (salt water!) reducing salt for no reason will result in electrolyte imbalance.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 20, 9:33pm
I second what Prawn says. He's risking thyroid and electrolyte problems if he cuts back salt too much.

buzzy110, Apr 20, 10:43pm
You can buy it from Huckleberry Farms along with all sorts of different salts. Ceres probably has the same range as Huckleberry Farms.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 20, 10:46pm
Great - going there today for coconut cream.

buzzy110, Apr 20, 10:49pm
Elsielaurie, high starch foods such as potatoes and grains require salt or they completely lack any flavour at all. Since time began, salt was the most important item in the human diet and those tribal groups who had access to salt were "rich". No farmer, worth his "salt" would consider trying to raise his stock without providing them with salt. In some places in NZ farmers have to provide their stock with salt licks or their animals weaken and die.

When I was in Canada our friend took us to a spot where mountain sheep (looked exactly like goats to me) congregated. That area was dangerous and exposed them to hunters but the thing that drew them there in herds was the salt that leached out onto the rocks. They'd stand on the side of these cliffs and lick the salt in spite of all the dangers they faced being there.

Do tell your husband that if he doesn't get enough salt he will end up with many problems - many, many problems.

kuaka, Apr 20, 11:09pm
buzzy - that is all true, but I don't put any salt in my spuds when I'm cooking them, or if I mash them, nor when I eat them, and they taste just fine to me.I also don't seem to have any health problems - I still prefer to think I get enough salt from other things that I eat rather than adding it to foods which I feel don't need it.I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice and taste.

fifie, Apr 20, 11:39pm
I don't cook with salt anymore, food can be bland, use heaps of herbs for flavour, and as for the bread still put your salt in he will never know and its much nicer, so is scones, baking etc. Its a big adjustment going salt free i found out, my cardiologest advised me to not add it to meals or cook with it, but did tell me to use a little idoised somewhere as the body still needs it. Its usually the added salt to every meal you eat thats the trouble,he needs to be careful he dosen't deprive the body totaly.

pickles7, Apr 21, 12:07am
I cannot get my head around people saying when salt is used, that "salt" is all you can taste...I would say to that way too much salt is being used, by whom-ever is cooking. We need salt, be it sea salt, iodised salt or "Himalayan Rock Salt". Iodised, should be your preference, in moderation.

nfh1, Apr 21, 12:21am
LOL - I feel the same about people who think you need to add it to get your food to have taste!

davidt4, Apr 21, 12:34am
Dazz, be aware that the Himalayan salt has a faint sulphurous taste and smell, which is okay with strong tasting food but can taint something delicate like scrambled eggs, salad greens or asparagus.I've gone back to using Marlborough iodised flaky salt as it has a very pure flavour.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 12:36am
Ah - thanks for that DT4.

lakestar, Apr 21, 2:06am
you do not need salt in bread. I made pizza dough the other day with white spelt flour [ a type of wheat] and it rose up more than double and worked perfectly. it is the sugar or honey or molasses that assists the yeast in rising.

kuaka, Apr 21, 2:08am
I don't think I've said that when I add salt to things like potatoes, that that is all I can taste, I said I don't think it enhances the flavour and I feel they don't need salt.I've been cooking them like this for 40 years or more and my first husband never complained and neither does my second one.

lakestar, Apr 21, 2:10am
ye do know that we only need a few grams of salt a day right? and that many people just eating out and about and processed foods get a few tablespoons a day!?

If you do not deaden your tastebuds with over flavouring the beautiful tastes in the many varieties of potatoes are quite distinct.

davidt4, Apr 21, 2:19am
Salt does not accelerate the rising, it slows it down, thus enabling a controlled fermentation which develops the flavours.It also improves the keeping quality of the bread.There is no virtue in a fast rise and the result is always inferior.

lakestar, Apr 21, 2:19am
oh yes and the REASON that salt was a highly value commodity in historical times is that salt was the primary means of preserving foods. MANY people did not survive the winter or the off season if they did not have enough stored food. Salt alone was the major reason why for a very long time England was not a very successful country, whereas counties like Spain who had lots of salt and could salt down fish and meats could feed their people and Armarda much better! England had to collect sea salt and only certain places a had the right natural land forms to do it.

lakestar, Apr 21, 2:23am
a person who needs to control their sodium intake will be just as happy salt free bread they can actually eat though!

elsielaurie1, Apr 21, 3:25am
Ditto to this answer.I was using the himalayan salt crystals in the bread but couldn't believe the sodium content! We eat neither processed nor fast foods of any nature.neither do we have such a thing as a salt shaker.I was just curious regarding making bread without salt.he's prepared for the 'bland' taste.Regarding salt in our porridge, we have a tablespoon of molasses added to 60g rolled oats instead of salt. Thank you to all the above for your answers.:-)

kuaka, Apr 21, 4:29am
I'm with nfh on this one, I don't salt any of my vegetables nor do I use salt in any of my cooking.I do have a very slight sprinkle of salt on tomatoes, egg or pumpkin.Other than that, not at all.Okay, if we have bought bikkies or cake (rarely) then I suppose they have salt, I imagine the bread we buy has salt added, but we don't eat things like potato chips or snack foods, don't have takeaways etc, so as far as I can make out we eat very little salt.What we do get seems adequate and I disagree with the "masterchefs" who insist everything seems to need salt or you can't taste it, I think my vegetables taste better without the salt, I can taste them, whereas when I used salt, the saltiness seemed to disguise rather than enhance the flavour.

pickles7, Apr 21, 5:40am
Yes we all need salt!
My Husband thinks he needs to add salt at the table, it is that extra salt, he is consuming, that should be cut out. Start there if he is inclined to add extra salt at the table.

nfh1, Apr 21, 5:52am
Yes I agree - salt just makes everything taste of . well salt!

I think if you need to add lots of salt to get flavour then there is something wrong with either the food in the beginning or the cooking process.