Hi - My husband all of a sudden has decided that h

Page 1 / 3
elsielaurie1, Apr 19, 9:14am
e wants to cut all added salt (sodium) from his diet.I make our own bread, which uses 1 teaspoon of salt....is it possible to make bread without the addition of salt?

cgvl, Apr 19, 9:21am
usually added salt is what he adds at the table. As far as I'm aware you need the salt to help with the rising and taste, not 100% sure on that.
Rather than cut it out cold try by adding less to food that you are cooking.
I use about ¼ -½ tsp salt in general cooking but a tsp in my bread.

beaker59, Apr 19, 9:57am
I accidentally left the salt out of a loaf once and it really doesn't taste as good but still quite OK the yeast worked just as well maybe even better (salt is also a preservative so may inhibit yeast) but I suspect it wouldn't last as long as the salt would suppress moulds too.

I would suggest if you are serious then use 1/2 a tsp for a few loaves and see how that goes if its OK then try 1/4tsp etc.

kinna54, Apr 19, 10:24am
Missed the salt out once by accident and the bread tasted gross, like raw yeast. A certain amount of sodium is need in the diet, and if you averaged out how much per slice it would be very little.

kob, Apr 19, 7:05pm
you def need to add salt to bread made in BM, and you also need a certain amount of salt in the digestive system otherwise cramp will set in, nothing like a bad bout of cramp at 3am to start you back on the salt again.

lindar, Apr 19, 7:55pm
Can you change his mind by saying the good minerals in the salt (if you buy the unmessed with ones) outweigh the benefits of not having sodium?

nzl99, Apr 19, 7:59pm
Yeah, it's really rather horrible without it... may I be as bold to suggest that one teaspoon in an entire loaf isn't over the top...?

camper18, Apr 19, 8:56pm
Tell him he will develop thyroid problems if he doesn't have a little iodised salt each day. And bread without salt is worse than porrige without salt believe me.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 19, 9:04pm
Why?

Does he not realize that it is an element that is essential to life?

If hes wanting to reduce sodium in general then just stop eating anything that is packaged or ready made.But if you do that and start to eat only whole foods (that are good for you) then you will still need to add salt to taste to make sure you get that essential element.

We are made up of SALINE after all (salt water!) reducing salt for no reason will result in electrolyte imbalance.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 19, 9:33pm
I second what Prawn says. He's risking thyroid and electrolyte problems if he cuts back salt too much.

nfh1, Apr 19, 9:37pm
I never use salt, either in cooking or at the table, not for any medical reason I just do not like the taste of it.I cook from scratch and do not use processed foods.

fifie, Apr 19, 11:39pm
I don't cook with salt anymore, food can be bland, use heaps of herbs for flavour, and as for the bread still put your salt in he will never know and its much nicer, so is scones, baking etc. Its a big adjustment going salt free i found out, my cardiologest advised me to not add it to meals or cook with it, but did tell me to use a little idoised somewhere as the body still needs it. Its usually the added salt to every meal you eat thats the trouble,he needs to be careful he dosen't deprive the body totaly.

ferrit47, Apr 20, 2:35am
You need salt in your Diet as it gives you iron which u need in your body.

elsielaurie1, Apr 20, 3:25am
Ditto to this answer....I was using the himalayan salt crystals in the bread but couldn't believe the sodium content!!!! We eat neither processed nor fast foods of any nature....neither do we have such a thing as a salt shaker.I was just curious regarding making bread without salt....he's prepared for the 'bland' taste....Regarding salt in our porridge, we have a tablespoon of molasses added to 60g rolled oats instead of salt.. Thank you to all the above for your answers....:-)

kuaka, Apr 20, 4:29am
I'm with nfh on this one, I don't salt any of my vegetables nor do I use salt in any of my cooking.I do have a very slight sprinkle of salt on tomatoes, egg or pumpkin.Other than that, not at all.Okay, if we have bought bikkies or cake (rarely) then I suppose they have salt, I imagine the bread we buy has salt added, but we don't eat things like potato chips or snack foods, don't have takeaways etc, so as far as I can make out we eat very little salt.What we do get seems adequate and I disagree with the "masterchefs" who insist everything seems to need salt or you can't taste it, I think my vegetables taste better without the salt, I can taste them, whereas when I used salt, the saltiness seemed to disguise rather than enhance the flavour.

pickles7, Apr 20, 5:40am
Yes we all need salt!!!
My Husband thinks he needs to add salt at the table, it is that extra salt, he is consuming, that should be cut out. Start there if he is inclined to add extra salt at the table.

nfh1, Apr 20, 5:52am
Yes I agree - salt just makes everything taste of ....... well salt!

I think if you need to add lots of salt to get flavour then there is something wrong with either the food in the beginning or the cooking process.

dantes_auntie, Apr 20, 6:06am
it's good to have some salt. i think just that in bread would be fine

duckmoon, Apr 20, 8:30am
1t in a loaf of bread...
most loaves get sliced into 20 slices (depending on what size the loaf is, and how thick the slices)...

so, hubby is worried about 1/20th of teaspoon of salt...

unless it is on medical grounds - I would be suggesting that my hubby gets a life - or gets cooking himself

elsielaurie1, Apr 20, 9:14am
e wants to cut all added salt (sodium) from his diet.I make our own bread, which uses 1 teaspoon of salt.is it possible to make bread without the addition of salt!

cgvl, Apr 20, 9:21am
usually added salt is what he adds at the table. As far as I'm aware you need the salt to help with the rising and taste, not 100% sure on that.
Rather than cut it out cold try by adding less to food that you are cooking.
I use about ¼ -½ tsp salt in general cooking but a tsp in my bread.

kuaka, Apr 20, 9:55am
Just re-reading the original post, I'm left wondering if hubby actually realises that bread has salt in it, or whether it's elsielaurie who is concerned about how successful the bread she makes will be if she doesn't put the salt in it.I doubt my hubby would know whether there was salt in it or not, and I'm further guessing that he wouldn't be able to taste the difference.Course, I could be wrong - it has happened occasionally!

beaker59, Apr 20, 9:57am
I accidentally left the salt out of a loaf once and it really doesn't taste as good but still quite OK the yeast worked just as well maybe even better (salt is also a preservative so may inhibit yeast) but I suspect it wouldn't last as long as the salt would suppress moulds too.

I would suggest if you are serious then use 1/2 a tsp for a few loaves and see how that goes if its OK then try 1/4tsp etc.

nauru, Apr 20, 12:43pm
Why not try the Himalayan Rock Salt.I use it all the time now, much better than
the refined salt.

books4nz, Apr 20, 2:31pm
+1 - the same here!