Dairy free desserts

kiwibubbles, Apr 19, 6:50am
ok so i need to make a dairy free dessert.. whats a good one? I suppose i could substitute margarine for butter though couldn't i? Margarine is dairy free isn't it?

rchelley, Apr 19, 7:22am
[quote=? Margarine is dairy free isn't it?[/quote]

Olivani is dairy free and we don't notice a taste difference in baking although there is a slight texture difference.

Our miss 3 is no longer dairy free since January so I don't need to do this anymore which is great but it is a hard habit to break so still buy olivani.

We used to make self saucing chocolate pudding in the crockpot and substituted ordinary chocolate chips for pams chocolate chips which are dairy free.

In a lot of baking I would substitute water for milk as well.

Rice pudding made with coconut milk is really nice.

lindylambchops1, Apr 19, 7:39am
We just had stuffed baked apples....dairy free!

winnie15, Apr 19, 7:49am
dairy free desserts .. you can replace milk with soy milk or lactose free milk and the butter/marg in a recipe you could replace with olivani .. Another nice liquid replacement iscoconut milk .

kinna54, Apr 19, 10:11am
Try making a sorbet. Had a family member who couldn't have dairy, and used to make this often as an ice cream substitute for him.

Sorbet

500 grams fruit, fresh frozen or canned:eg. Strawberries, boysenberries, plums, mangoes, peaches.
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 egg whites

Puree fruit. Strain and discard any skins or seeds. Set aside.
In a saucepan combine sugar and water. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Combine sugar syrup ,fruit puree and lemon juice. Pour into a shallow container. Put in freezer until mixture starts to freeze on top, then transferthe mixture into a bowl. Add egg whites and beat until combined. Pour back into the shallow container and refreeze until set.

Serve inchilled dishes or glasses.

norse_westie, Apr 20, 7:22am
Any fruit crumble. Right now, apple and feijoa - divine. Instead of butter use olivani or even just oil to moisten the crumble.

guest, Jan 12, 8:54am
For the love of God, keep writing these aritlces.

guest, Jan 13, 5:52pm
And for people my age, it would never occur to us that milk would be drveleied to your house, like the mail.I'd imagine it was a matter of freshness and preservation, though that's just a guess on my part. My grandparents' house had an old icebox they wired with electricity and converted into a refrigerator. It also has a sort of cubbyhole in the wall (long since sealed up) where the delivery guy would put the milk every day.

guest, Jan 14, 11:18am
What family farm is in a poitison to purchase quota? Dumb idea. Are we not as usual in a milk deficit poitison? Better management practices may be appropriate for farmers but first they need to be solvent. A fair share of the milk dollar has to go to them now.