White sauce

hunnyb1, Apr 19, 6:13am
how do you make it from scratch with out it being lumpy.i used to be able to do it, but have lost the knack.frustrating, and please do not suggest a packet either. miss 14 has taken over, and i'm sorry but i can't eat her white sauce.

lyl_guy, Apr 19, 6:18am
I do a couple of tbsp butter, melt over low heat.WHISK in a couple tblsp flour, to a smooth paste.Start adding milk slowly while whisking, about 2c milk .... keep whisking till simmering (I turn heat up to get it simmering).... cook at least 5 mins.Never get lumps here.... the trick is the whisk, and keep whisking till it's simmering.

greerg, Apr 19, 6:25am
Make a roux first.Equal weights of flour and butter cooked over a low heat until the flour smells lightly toasted - about 3-5 minutes.The amount of liquid depends on howthick you want the sauce but 50 grms butter/flourto 500 mls of liquid is a medium sauce.The liquid is often added hot but as long as you keep stirring you can add cold liquid bit by bit stirring constantly

lyl_guy, Apr 19, 6:54am
Forgot to say.... my recipe makes a large amount, for my mac/cheese.Otherwise, I'd only use 1T butter, 1T flour, 1c milk.

kate777, Apr 19, 8:28am
Make sure you heat the milk.
You can either heat it in the microwave or when you pour a small bit into the roux, allow it to sit in the bottom of the pot until it boils before you stir it in.

Also if your sauce is still lumpy, you may have too much flour in your roux.

roys351, Apr 19, 8:39am
all above but you also have to cook the flour taste off keep tasting until you carnt taste the flour.