Lamb Backstraps

catie61, Apr 17, 5:35am
I have 1.5kg of these - was going to roast them but they look rather lean - just about no fat on them - anybody got a good recipe for them?

cookessentials, Apr 17, 5:57am
If I can find it...I did have a lovely one with whole cherry tomatoes and thinly sliced lamb back straps etc...It was one that Mum gave me. I shall see if I can find it or ask her for it.

rosathemad, Apr 17, 6:04am
We made a rolled roast with lamb backstrap at Christmas - ours did have a fair bit of fat but the yummy walnut and apricot stuffing we used had butter in it, which gave the meat a great deal of additional moisture - we actually made it with less butter than the recipe recommended (and note that the recipe only makes a small portion, depending on the size of your roast you may want to double or triple it) but if your meat is lean it might be spot on. The recipe is here: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/515773

beaker59, Apr 17, 6:05am
Ray Mc vinney did a nice spanish dish with lamb backstraps last week or so on Masterchef have a look on TVNZ on Demand it will be there. But basically it came down to sear the meat in a hot pan til nice and brown but pink in middle rest well.

catie61, Apr 17, 6:17am
Thanks guys - when I opened this vacuum sealed pack - it actually has 6 backstraps in it and we are only 2!!! Have to cook it now so any suggestions for leftovers would also be appreciated - I'm thinking the recipe with the sliced backstrap and tomato would be perfect if you can post it?

davidt4, Apr 17, 7:10am
Lamb backstraps are fine-textured and lacking in fat, with a good flavour and quite tender.I use them a lot for Moroccan or Turkish kebabs - marinate with herbs, spices, onion and olive oil, as appropriate, for at least 24 hours, 48 hours is much better.They are a great cut as long as you treat them properly.Don't cook past medium-rare.

macandrosie, Apr 18, 10:12am
Lamb back straps are incredibly tender & do NOT require roasting! They are best pan fried for a few minutes each side. You could marinate them prior to cooking, a friend of mine coats them in dukah first. once cooked they can be sliced thinly & used in a nice leafy salad or served on a potato rosti.