Olive oil "setting" query

diamondgirl06, Mar 12, 9:13pm
I've recently made a standard dressing using 2 parts olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar.
I've stored it in the fridge and have now noticed that it's "set" on top - like a layer of animal fat does

My understanding has always been that vegetable oils don't do that?

Can anyone throw any light on this?

malcovy, Mar 12, 9:21pm
It doesn't need to be in fridge and what has happened is completely normal. Olive oil is still a fat and solidifies in cold.

maxwell.inc, Mar 12, 9:22pm
This is a cold pressed oil... you will find on the bottle. . "May harden in cold temperatures" ... Its perfectly fine. . and its not technically a vegie oil. . its a Fruit oil... You should always keep your bottle of OVOO in the fridge anyway, halts the rancidity process.

diamondgirl06, Mar 12, 10:38pm
Thank you !

gpmapm, Mar 14, 9:37am
Keep your olive oil in your pantry. It will stay fresh in there for up too 18 months, if you have it that long that is.

maxwell.inc, Mar 14, 9:13pm
Define fresh... most of it is rancid on the shelf in the supermarket.

buzzy110, Mar 14, 9:16pm
Olive oil definitely does not improve with age and those who grow and press olives special their oils off after a year - if they are ethical that is. The fridge is best for storage if keeping for a longer time but definitely it needs to be stored out of light in a lower cupboard.

igpai, Feb 1, 2:43pm
Olive oil in the supermarkets only stays on the shelf for a couple of days before it is sold. So that's not nearly long enough for it to go rancid. There's nothing wrong with olive oil from supermarkets.