Anyone have a good BBQ sauce recipe for meatballs?

keirae, Apr 12, 11:03pm
I have only ever made a tomato sauce for them but want to try something different. Just wondering if anyone has a recipe they use they wouldn't mind sharing? Thank you very much to anyone who replies :)

greerg, Apr 13, 12:50am
I use the one that my grandmother used for meat loaf - just double the recipe for meat balls.The original recipe says 1 teasp of coffee but we prefer it with less.
1 chopped onion, ¼ cup water, ½ cup tomato sauce, ¼ cup dry red wine, ¼ cup L&P Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbspns vinegar, ½ teasp instant coffee, ¼ cup brown sugar, 28 grms butter, 2 teasp lemon juice.Saute onions in margarine until golden and add all other ingredients

bearskin, Apr 13, 1:05am
One absolute key ingredient for BBQ sauce is sugar and lots of it. Not the healthiest thing ever! You can buy little bottles of "smoke" flavouring drops that will give it (a slightly bitter but) appropriately smokey flavour. A base of ketchup, a few herbs and spices - your choice and a little chilli powder. Also, another slightly odd ingredient that I keep in the cupboard only for use in BBQ sauce is 'garlic powder'. It works well in BBQ sauce but I'd never use it for anything else.

winnie15, Apr 13, 4:24am
I use this for my meatloaf recipe greerg and its soooo yummy!!

shanf1, Apr 13, 5:58am
Hi Keirae - BBQ saucerecipe I have used for years mainly for steaks and meatballs,
1dsp sugar1 1/2 tsp dry mustard1 tbsp oil3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp curry powderBoil together and cool. Very simple and tasty

shanf1, Apr 13, 6:03am
me again.
I have a sweet and sour recipe which is lovely with meatballs cooked in oven.
sauce:1 cup water1 tbsp chicken stock1 tbsp cornflour2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce2 tbsp vinegar
pour over browned meatballs and cook 15-20 mins.Very simple and tasty.

jessie981, Apr 13, 6:07am
1/2c water
1/4c worcester sauce
1/4c br sugar
knob butter
1/2c tomato sauce
2TBSP vinegar
1tsp instant coffee
2TBSP lemon juice
combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring slowly to the boil,reduce heat & simmer 5 mins

keirae, Apr 13, 8:01am
Awesome! Thanks everyone for the great ideas - will be trying them all out for sure :)