EASY curry recipes? Either crockpot or stove-top..

clairbell, Apr 11, 12:12am
Looking for some easy curry recipes, ones that dont have toooo many ingredients! Many Thanks

davidt4, Apr 11, 12:55am
This is delicious and has only eight ingredients.

Banana Curry

3 large firm bananas (ripe but not spotty)
2 tsp butter or ghee
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tumeric (or 1 tab grated fresh tumeric)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 c yoghurt

In a frying pan over medium heat melt butter and fry tumeric and cumin 2 minutes.Peel bananas and slice 3cm chunks, add to pan with salt and chilli, cook gently 5 - 6 minutes until tender.be careful not to crush banana.Add garam masala and yoghurt, simmer 10 min until most of the liquid is absorbed.Serve hot.

davidt4, Apr 11, 12:57am
Here's another simple one:

Fish in Spiced Yoghurt

500g white fish fillets
1 sm onion, grated
1 knob ginger, grated
1 tsp tumeric
½ tsp chilli powder
300 ml yoghurt

Mix all tog. and stand 30 min.

Salt & pepper
2 tab butter
1 med onion, sliced
2 tsp garam masala

Add s & p to fish.

Fry butter & onion until soft.Add fish mixture, cover & simmer 10 min.

Sprinkle garam masala over.Serve with rice.

elliehen, Apr 11, 1:16am
Thanks for these!Everyone is thinking 'curry' since last night's Masterchef, but sometimes a look at the long list of ingredients and the lack of knowledge about particular spices is a deterrent.

davidt4, Apr 11, 1:17am
I think I'd better go and watch that episode.It seems to have resulted in a lot of comment.

beaker59, Apr 11, 1:23am
Clairbell if you want to do an authentic real curry and lack the experience and spices then get one of the "Spice and Easy" kits it has full instructions and sachets of all the real spices you need. Excellent for a beginner my recommendation for a start is the chicken Masala very tasty and not that hot for a curry.

They are in most supermarkets around here.

uli, Apr 11, 3:47am
Also there is a world if difference between Indian and Thai curries - and between authentic and "americanized" or "NZlandised sweet curries".

So depending where your interests are there are literally hundreds of recipes to be found if you use the search function on the left - or thousands if you use google :)

mallee, Apr 11, 3:55am
davidt4 and uli, spend a lot of time on here advising and sharing recipes, which is so very lovely of them. You can trust their advice :-) can't she ladies?

uli, Apr 11, 3:58am
Well I won't share curry recipes here - that is davidt4's forte not mine. However if you want sourdough or kim chee advice then I can help you. Or maybe cooking a nice recipe "from scratch" rather than from the back of a packet? Possum stew with watercress maybe?

mallee, Apr 11, 4:02am
Yep, I would give possum a go, I suspect it's similar to rabbit.

uli, Apr 11, 4:03am
It is - if it is a young female - so go and get the possum first, skin and gut and leave in fridge for a few days to tenderize.

Edited to add that you won't find those in Vanuatu though! Nor at Surfers to my knowledge.

mallee, Apr 11, 4:06am
Oh well, I will have to stick to a snake sandwich instead :-)

elliehen, Apr 11, 4:22am
mallee, when I lived in Perth, there was an expression "mad as a mallee bull".The mention of a snake sandwich makes me wonder if your username is derived from OZconnections ;)

davidt4, Apr 11, 4:23am
I've now watched that episode.It was totally uninformative about the actual food, wasn't it.It would have been nice to know what was in the curry that made all three judges rave.The level of knowledge amongst the contestants was shockingly poor for people who are supposed to be keen on food and cookery.Only one of them seemed to know that a "chutney" to accompany an Indian meal is not usually what we consider to be a chutney (sugar, vinegar, fruit cooked for a long time) but is a cool mixture of herbs, coconut, yoghurt, mild spices etc.