What dessert to impress two chefs?

Page 1 / 2
hezwez, Apr 9, 10:52am
We've been invited to dinner in a week and when I foolishly asked what I could bring (thinking wine & juice) was asked to bring dessert. The couple are both qualified and talented chefs, & I can't make the tiramisu I'd like to make as my husband is teetotal. Can anyone suggest something that is no-fail and looks a million dollars but doesn't cost that? TIA

aadunn77, Apr 9, 11:01am
Shitballs, I hate that! Hmmmmmm...what do you love to eat as a sweet?

hezwez, Apr 9, 11:03am
I like the idea of the mousse, thanks elliehen (and pickles) and aadunn I eat ANYTHING.

aadunn77, Apr 9, 11:08am
I made a cheesecake over christmas with the hit of the fresh vanilla bean scraped into the cream cheese & cream...? Choccy digestive base..

I also made a dark choccy ganache tart in a sweetcrust base, with fresh rasperries and whipped cream.Its VERY easy! Was my first time making too..

Im a total fan of choccy mousse too ay...dont have a fail safe thou

aadunn77, Apr 9, 11:09am
Usually after a big meal, something like the ganache tart works real well with coffee

aadunn77, Apr 9, 11:12am
Here you could make your base too? but ganache very easy

http://www.marthastewart.com/281329/chocolate-ganache-tart

hezwez, Apr 9, 11:20am
That looks delicious too. I may present a few choices to my six year old grand-daughter and leave the decision to her! Forgot to add that suggestions need to be eggless as the teetotal husband doesn't eat those either. Thanks aadunn

aadunn77, Apr 9, 11:23am
Yep no eggs in the ganache!? Not that Im aware of anyway, maybe in the bought base? but you can make your own...All the best!

motorbo, Apr 9, 9:18pm
the mousse is yum, or you could do annabelle langbeins strawberry cloud cake

rosathemad, Apr 9, 11:24pm
I've made this tart, it's very good, not too time-consuming, and I much prefer the base to a biscuit base. :-) Very decadent!

elliehen, Apr 9, 11:31pm
Rosa - a quick query... I was served a rich tart which was very dense with ground nuts and cocoa and had a slightly 'unsweet' taste which I enjoyed.Do you have a recipe which might match my odd description?

rosathemad, Apr 9, 11:36pm
I don't, sorry, it sounds intriguing but not like anything I've made. You don't know what sort of nuts were used?

marcs, Apr 10, 1:36am
I work with chefs and because they are in a professional enviroment, most of the time they prefer good old home cooking. I would not stress too much about it being professional. A lot of them prefer mums home cooking. I would just make a humble cheesecake or a lemon meringue pie or a banoffie pie. These are all the thing I make at the restaurant myself.

rkcroft, Apr 10, 3:49am
I made this the other night and for a simple dish, it was delicious.
Apple Shortcake Slice
1 1/2c self rasing flour
1 1/2 c coconut
1/2c caster sugar
185gm melted butter
1 egg
1 large can of apple slices drained (or use your own stewed apple)
200gm mascarpone
3T good quality berry jam (I used St Dalfour Wild Blueberry)
Line a 18x28cm slice pan with baking paper.
In a large bowl, combine flour, coconut and sugar. Mix in melted butter and egg.
Press half of the mix into the slice pan.
Mix together the mascarpone and jam and spread over the base.
Cover with a layer of apple slices.
Crumble over the remaining mix and press down a little to ensure the topping sticks to the apples.
Bake for about 40 mins @ 180C
Remove from oven and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Cut into squares and serve with custard or cream.

I cooked mine earlier in the day and reheated for a short while in oven before cutting into squares and serving.It held together very well this way.Everyone loved it.We have the leftovers cold the next day which was just as nice.

rkcroft, Apr 10, 3:51am
sorry just noticed about the egg.Well this is a nice recipe for someone else to try anyway.

cap, Apr 10, 3:54am
You could even do something as simple as a nice crumble - the chefs on shows like Masterchef (Uk, Aussie and NZ) always seem to get excited over a good crumble.

elliehen, Apr 10, 3:56am
Pecans - I'll try and find out more about it.

hezwez, Apr 10, 6:34am
Hey thanks so much for all the ideas. I may even make two desserts...am getting quite excited about the whole thing now. :-))

duckmoon, Apr 10, 8:15am
I wouldn't try to impress them... make it with love and they will love it too

blt10, Apr 10, 9:27am
Banofi pie doesn't need eggs

karlymouse, Apr 10, 9:32am
Rhubarb Crumble with Custard - perfect

pr1ncesswst, Apr 10, 8:10pm
Totally agree, my husband is a chef as is my brother, they are happy with spaghetti on toast for dinner lol and hubby's fav pudd is apple crumble.When we got together i hated cooking for him as i thought like you that it had to be all fancy and i was being judged, i couldn't of been more wrong (thank god) :)Whatever you make/take they will enjoy, they didn't have to do it.

leonhouses, Apr 11, 12:44am
If you take a crumble, can take along a pot of quality honey or vanilla Greek yoghurt. A bit different and easier than custard or cream if it needs to be whipped.

elliehen, Apr 11, 12:52am
Please come back later and tell us what you decided to take and what the chefs thought of it :)

cookessentials, Apr 11, 12:55am
I would never set out to impress anyone, whether it be a chef or friends and family. I do good, tasty food and have not had any complaints so far. I think by trying to impress people, you set yourself up for a stressful time before during and after the event.