Rolling a sponge roll

vicki_r, Apr 9, 3:35am
Made a sponge roll today. Removed paper then rolled it up and placed it on a cooling rack. But then found it wouldn't unroll. How do others manage this successfully?
Imagine not removing the paper until time to roll might help?

letitia, Apr 9, 3:47am
It's a long time since I made one, but from memory, I took it out of the oven, removed the paper, let it cool slightly, spread with jam, and rolled it up, then left it to cool completely.

harrislucinda, Apr 9, 4:00am
Ihaveatowelplaceon thebenchsprinklewithicing sugartipspongeoutidonteven waituntilcool.then spreadwithjam ,takethe2cornersof thetowelrolltowardyouandthenleaveuntilcool
alwaysdonethis way

davidt4, Apr 9, 4:12am
The way I was taught to do it was to turn the hot sponge on to a fresh piece of paper (baking paper would be ideal but greaseproof is what we used) and immediately roll it loosely, about one and a quarter around itself.Leave to cool before filling and rolling up tidily.

If your sponge is overcooked it will be too stiff to manage - it should be barely pale brown on the top and barely crisp around the edge.

elliehen, Apr 9, 4:17am
I made a perfect one yesterday :)I always line the tin with baking paper, wait a couple of minutes after the sponge comes out of the oven, peel off paper and tip it onto a new sheet, trim a thin sliver off one long side, then roll up with the new paper.

When it's cool, I gently remove the paper (the roll now has kept its rolled shape) put in the jam and whipped cream and roll back together again.

Note:Trimming a sliver from one long side makes the sponge roll up neatly.

rainrain1, Apr 9, 9:29am
Roll it up in the baking paper

macandrosie, Apr 10, 8:14am
I place a clean tea towel on the coolin rack & tip sponge onto it & roll straight away while hot, leave it rolled until cool. You can unroll it when cooler to fill

flower-child01, Apr 11, 11:12pm
For those who want details I have them here http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/how-to-roll-a-sponge-roll-cake/