Pickling question?

priestley1, Apr 8, 8:47pm
Do I need to have the agee jars for makeing cucumber chutney or can I just re use regular jam or mayo jars as this is all I have. Tia.

nanasee1, Apr 8, 8:52pm
Regular jars with 'pop' seal tops are fine.

priestley1, Apr 8, 9:06pm
thankyou! do I just wash them and fill them right up to the top so there is no air or is is something special I have to do?

nanasee1, Apr 8, 9:14pm
Wash them thoroughly & rinse them well. Sterilise them in the oven at 100 for 30 minutes. I put the lids in the oven as well for about 10 minutes. Fill the jars to the top, make sure there are no drips on the rim, screw the top on & wait for the pop sound as the jars seal. Don't be tempted to increase the oven heat over 100or the jars get too hot and make the pickle boil creating air bubbles. Good luck.

pickles7, Apr 8, 9:21pm
Heat them in your oven so they don't crack when you put the hot pickle in.
pour boiling water over the lids. you should not put the lids on until your pickle is cold. This helps in preventing the lids going rusty. I have put the lids on while hot, and they do seal well. But you will find the lids do rust if you keep the pickles for any length of time.

priestley1, Apr 8, 9:32pm
hmm I am a bit confused about whether or not to put the lids on while the pickle is hot. Thankyou for your help.

nanasee1, Apr 8, 9:48pm
Priestly it is really a matter of choice, I put the lids on when the chutney is hot and then they seal. I find this keeps longer, but like pickles says it can sometimes cause the lids to go rusty. I choose the lids carefully to ensure they still have a good coating on the inside and are not scratched at all, this lessens the likelyhood of rust. You could try some each way & find your ownpreference.

pickles7, Apr 8, 10:36pm
Yes I do the same, and once I have used a lid for pickles I biff them.
If you make pickles and sauces, make your own vinegar. I just love not having to buy vinegar. It costs me 50 cents a litre to make, and so much more, in satisfaction. I am just about to make another lot from a can of Lager, I was given. So far I have made near 100 liters, malt vinegar, and only have 10 bottles left.