HELP!!! Train birthday cake not looking good.....

jenniebee, Apr 7, 7:48pm
Mr 3s birthday tomorrow and he wants a Thomas the Tank Engine Cake. I've hired a 3D cake mould where you make the cake in two identical halves and put them together. The cake is yummy moist chocolate cake, but I think it's too moist! The mould is quite detailed and I think it's going to fall to bits when I try to stand it upright and put the pieces together because it's such a soft cake. Any suggestions? Hubby suggested freezing it. Could that work? If it was frozen I could maybe put skewers through it to hold it together and then ice it, and hopefully the icing will hold it together???

lilyfield, Apr 7, 7:56pm
definitely- freeze it.
And a 3 year old won't see some imperfections. Don't be too hard on yourself.

lilyfield, Apr 7, 7:57pm
if it really falls to bits after- you call it the CHCH train

valtrin, Apr 7, 8:26pm
Is that the cake you made with oil? They can be very soft and liable to fall apart I have found.Skewers would be the plan and lots of nice thick icing. He will love what Mum made anyhow.

kiwibubbles, Apr 7, 8:46pm
you may also need to do a crumb coating of icing first

margyr, Apr 7, 8:48pm
your post about freezing makes sense, then put a thin layer of your icing on first, put back in the fridge till firm and then do your final layer. It will be great and the kids will love it.

jenniebee, Apr 7, 9:58pm
Thanks guys. I'll post photos tonight when it's all done. I'm working on the carriges now. Probably bitten off more than I can chew here me thinks :o)

nzhel, Apr 7, 10:16pm
I aways use packet cake mixes for shaped birthday cakes as they always turn out just right and are a good texture for cutting and decorating. I'm not a major fan of 'pkt cakes' but they serve their purpose for this and once in a while doesn't hurt!

rkcroft, Apr 8, 12:51am
Definitely freeze and skewer it.It will firm up quite a lot and be much easier to ice and decorate.